Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro cannot boot (anything) anymore

10K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Suppai 
#1 ·
Hi community,

I am hoping that someone can help me get my laptop back to life.

I wanted to do a clean Windows 10 install on my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro, which I have done once before without any problems. However this time when booting from the Win 10 boot USB drive nothing happened for a long time (several minutes), so I restarted and tried again, still the same. This was weird because I knew the boot USB was fine, as I had used it before for this purpose on this laptop. Next step was obviously making sure the USB device and boot files were good, so i tested on another PC and everything worked fine - now here comes the really weird part...after this I was not able to boot from the SSD (or the USB, or any other boot device) anymore, as soon as anything not related to the BIOS was booted, the screen would just be stuck at either the Lenovo logo screen or a blank screen. Boot failure also includes the Lenovo recovery option (accesible via the Novo menu)

I have tried a lot of things, but nothing seems to work:
- resetting the BIOS
- trying out any BIOS settings that would make sense in a boot context
- hard resetting the BIOS by unplugging the CMOS over a night (which worked, but didnt solve the issue)
- trying different USB boot images and formats (all working on similar PCs)

these are the facts/findings:
- BIOS seems to work fine
- boot devices are discovered in the BIOS boot manager and appear as they should (they're detected as intended)
- the boot devices tested works fine on other PCs (no issues)
- the Novo button usually works, but have stopped working a few times, but this can be resolved by unplugging the SSD, pressing the Novo again, and plugging the SSD back in (found this tip on the web)
- there have been no problems with the laptop so far - and due to the fact this happened after trying to boot a USB, and as the laptop seems fine besides the not booting part, i suspect that the issue is not really hardware based, but rather some kind of corruption of the boot system on the machine itself (I am no expert)

Some remarks:
- as I was about to do a total clean install, all critical data has already been moved. Also the warranty (ironically) just ran out (so I can experiment a bit without risk of data loss or not being able to use warranty)
- hence if there is some method to due a very hard total firmware/machine/SDD/whatever reset (besides what I have already done) that could solve this, I am interested

I all seems very weird that this happened so suddenly with all hardware seemingly ok. Getting support from Lenovo after the warranty ending, is difficult, and to be honest its also difficult to find a service center in my country (most seem to cater to corporate clients mostly and not focus at all on private individuals), so I REALLY hope there are someone wo can help me out, it will be very highly appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
But... if you are impatient like i am,, )
Go to into the bios and make sure rollback bios is working.

here are links to the official older bios for the yoga 2 pro....

i rolled back to version 41 and it seems stable, , , no more having to keep swiching from UEFI and back to legacy to get the damn machine to boot up... has been stable for a few hours but this issue normally occurs with me after a long shutdown or a BSOD.... funnily enough issue also started occuring after a W10 upgrade but then persisted after a rollback to 8!

Good luck

1> https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/76cn42ww.exe
2> https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/76cn41ww.exe
3> https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/76cn38ww.exe

#4 ·
Thanks you for your input, but I can't see how I can make this work, as 1) These require that laptop can boot (exes to be executed in Windows), 2) They're are not available as a bootable ISO files, and 3) even if they were, I don't think my laptop would be able to boot them, unless there is some way to override this in the BIOS?

#5 ·
Ok, i assumed that you were able to get into Windows intermittently by going into BIOS and switching between legacy and secure boot.. Not too much of an issue... Lets skip the above process...

One more question.... Have you tried doing a re- installation of Windows with Secure boot / GPT file system? You will need to follow a few steps in the bios prior to attempting windows install and it will require a wipe of the Yoga hard drive. If not and you are ok to lose everything on the Yoga hard drive ping me and i will try and walk you through the steps, its not that difficult as long as you follow the steps ;)

#6 ·
As written in the post I have tried anything, and I have already experience in doing clean installs (and also have experience on this particular pc dong a clean install a year ago or such). The problem is that NOTHING can boot, i have tried all setting, and devices are visible and bootable (in the bios and boot menu), which means settings are good - problem is, when boot is started nothing happens, no matter the device. Most recently tried booting from a Lenovo diagnostics boot USB, and that didn't work neither. So to conclude, nothing can boot,which is why doing a clean windows install from a USB is impossible as it requires that boot from the USB is possible obviously .. probably nothing to do than send it to Lenovo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.