Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Operating System Question 32 & 64bit

1K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  DaveA 
#1 ·
I am currently using Windows 7 on a smallish laptop, I've always used since I started using a computer 32bit systems, when I go for either a desktop or another laptop should I go for a 64bit system? and if so do the 64bit drives come with a partition so that my 32bit programs will work?

Reason I've posted this here is because it'll probably be windows 10 that will be installed when I update my PC.

#2 ·
quite a few 32bit programs run on 64bit systems - there are exceptions to this and compatibility issues - but we would needto know the specific programs you want to use on windows 10
you can get 32bit windows 10

It will really depend on how much RAM memory the new PC has - 4gb or less 32bit windows will be OK
BUT I suspect 64bit will be pre-installed anyway

Reactions: beldor
#3 ·
quite a few 32bit programs run on 64bit systems - there are exceptions to this and compatibility issues - but we would needto know the specific programs you want to use on windows 10
you can get 32bit windows 10

It will really depend on how much RAM memory the new PC has - 4gb or less 32bit windows will be OK
BUT I suspect 64bit will be pre-installed anyway
I'm hoping to purchase an Intel quadcore 8gb ram desktop plus I hope to also get a decent laptop.

Programs I would be looking for it to run are Nero 6, Audacity, music converters, Burrrn, mp3tag etc, I don't do gaming.

#7 ·
the 8GB ram would not be seen
32 bit can only see 4 GB and with reserved for PC that makes about 3.3 GB usable.
so to see the 8GB and use it it , you need 64bit

also think about why you use the programs and if there are updates/later versions for them

Reactions: beldor
#13 ·
Unless you have very old DOS or Windows programs that you REQUIRE, I would go to the 64 bit version.

Some early Windows programs are 16 bit and they will not run on Windows 7, 8 and 10 as 16 bit is NOT supported.

#16 ·
Windows 98 had a lot of 16 bit programs.

Nero - Support - Nero 6 - System Requirements
www.nero.com › Home › Support › Previous Products › Nero 6
  1. Cached
  2. Similar
Nero Multimedia Suite

General system requirements. Microsoft ® Windows 98/98SE; Windows 2000 (service pack 4 or later); Windows XP; Windows 2003 server. Microsoft® Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (All applications beside InCD and Nero ImageDrive work in the x86 emulator that allows 32-bit Windows applications to run)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.