Tech Support Guy banner

What's for Dinner?

387K views 7K replies 123 participants last post by  2twenty2 
#1 ·
#4,035 ·
Last night I had stew. for some strange reason I decided to take a picture of it. Well it looked nice and colourful on the plate and was delicious. I cook my vegetables separately and add them to the meat/gravy towards the end so they don't get all squashed when stirring. I also cut my meat up to very small pieces so they are even more tender.

Food Ingredient Recipe Fruit Cuisine

#4,039 ·
Last night I had stew. for some strange reason I decided to take a picture of it. Well it looked nice and colourful on the plate and was delicious. I cook my vegetables separately and add them to the meat/gravy towards the end so they don't get all squashed when stirring. I also cut my meat up to very small pieces so they are even more tender.

View attachment 271775
Could I come round for a dinner?

Yesterday I had homemade slimming version of kung po. I thought it was chicken curry but mum forgotten to add water chestnuts and bamboo shoots in the mixture. It was tasty with sweet coconut and almond rice.

#4,044 · (Edited)
Very rare do you see a steak graded "prime" in most stores, usually that grade is reserved for restaurants.
Or it is mislabeled in the store.

This strip steak I have here is labeled Prime, and it certainly looks (and cost) the part, a gift from The Boy.
Beautiful, well and finely marbled, should be juicy and succulent beef goodness... now don't make me youse beef eaters jealous :D

Not yet cooked for dinner, because I'm terrified of screwing it up!*

*(note to self: do not panic)*

It'll be fantastic on the charcoal grill, along with a small romaine salad and a bit of grilled garlic bread.
(I hope!...
leading me to the Shepard's prayer ;) )

#4,046 ·
I'm probably in trouble for posting this here :D

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-50262547

Iceland livestreams 10-year-old McDonald's cheeseburger

When McDonald's closed all its restaurants in Iceland in 2009, one man decided to buy his last hamburger and fries.

"I had heard that McDonald's never decompose so I just wanted to see if it was true or not," Hjortur Smarason told AFP.

This week, it's 10 years since the seemingly indestructible meal was purchased, and it barely looks a day older.

#4,048 ·
I'm probably in trouble for posting this here :D:
Now I'm going to get in trouble for saying for saying I recently actually had a McDonald's Big Mac and fries that was actually edible, delicious in fact! :eek:

In one of of those very rare events that sometimes happens (like being struck by lighting or winning the lottery, the formation of life in the universe) it just so happened everything was made fresh!
Fries so hot you couldn't sneak one out of the bag without a burn, and the burger reminded me of the ones I used to love when I was a kid!
(you know, back when they used to make fries in lard ;)

Ah well, having had that one in a bajillion thing, I agree with Karen
I'd go to a local restaurant that has the best burgers and the best fries. Alas, I may never be able to eat that again but I'm hoping that one day........
Emphasis on "the best" imho.
Though homemade can also be top notch, sometimes.

#4,051 · (Edited)
Well it happens now and then, that odd clash of forces at work that come together at just the wrong time.
Yesterday, was going to grill a ribeye steak but it started raining sooner than expected, rained all night ending in icy precip, the deck becomes slippery.
Put the steak back in the freezer (prolly not a good idea, but it's well wrapped and in a vacuum sealer bag.

So I'd made some tuna salad for a sandwich earlier, was going to finish it for dinner while watching TV. Made a nice little platter.

Then the forces of gravity, timing, spastic legs and arms, an unbalanced tray (there was probably an earthquake too ;) ) and just when sitting down, all the food did an upside down face splat into the carpet :( :mad:

It didn't look as pretty on the carpet as it did in the plate.
Half an hour later I'd cleaned up pretty well, but had lost my appetite....
Had that been my steak that plopped, might well have used the five second rule :D
Hey Ho and so it goes...

#4,056 ·
Could have been worse, say with a couple of fried eggs with molten runny yolks, the toast going buttered side down collecting dog hairs, or worse than that....that special ice cream treat you've been looking forward to, saving it for that TV show or movie, your whole world collapses in a few seconds, and you blame yourself but it was an accident :eek:

Careful with the vinegar and cinnamon. A little too much is way too much ( in my humble opinion, of course :D )
That makes perfect sense to me, somehow :D

#4,055 ·
I found the 'quick soak' method mostly a waste of time.

Where I'm at now, is 1 cup of dried beans -washed and rinsed( I usually mix baby lamas with a majority of pintos) add 2 and 1/2 cups of water.
Bring to a boil and maintain a slow boil for 1 hour 45 minutes.
For added flavor, add ( experiment in volume to suit your taste buds ) 3 table spoons of vinegar (currently using Apple Cider vinegar but regular works well) another 3 table spoons of maple syrup, a dash of cinnamon and garlic powder.
Careful with the vinegar and cinnamon. A little too much is way too much ( in my humble opinion, of course :D )
Add about 1/4 cup of rice and perhaps another 1/2 cup of water and continue a slow boil for about another 45 minutes.

IMO, darn nice whether in a bowl or on a soft taco shell :)

Much better than any beans coming out of a can.
Cheaper, too ;)

#4,062 · (Edited)
My friend you won't believe this but I'm having the same this evening! :eek:
I'm using good ol' Beanee Weenee Smoked Hickory style with some toast and some Xtra sharp Cheddar cheese on the side :)

Baked beans on toast is an English staple for some, and this is a real good substitute (y) :cool:

Now don't make me jealous if you made your B&W from scratch ;)

#4,065 ·
Sorry to disappoint but I can not make you jealous.
>phew!<...
good to know I'm not alone in the lazy department ;)

If it doesn't come out of the freezer or a can I couldn't be bothered
Huh, whot?

Mebbe so at times, for convenience,
but you can build a beautiful salad when you feel up to to it!
:D(y)