Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Battery won't charge past 67%?

14K views 14 replies 2 participants last post by  Farmgirl22 
#1 ·
I bought this Anker battery in early April to replace the ancient one that came with my laptop. It's been working fantastically until day before yesterday. For whatever reason, it got to about 67%, and stopped charging. I've restarted my computer, pulled the battery out to see if it was a charger issue (my charger cord had some exposed wires from getting caught in the recliner, but I covered them with electrical tape), and ran a battery report. Everything seems fine, except that my battery only charges a little over halfway. I even ran it on battery, and it ran normally, and when I plugged it back in, it charged until it hit the 67% mark, and then it says "plugged in, not charging".

What do I need to do to make it work properly again? Because I can't believe that it's dead or malfunctioning after such a short period of time.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 4007 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000, 1811 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 462929 MB, Free - 381877 MB; Q: Total - 11999 MB, Free - 2464 MB;
Motherboard: LENOVO, 1141A24
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

See less See more
#3 ·
#4 ·
1. I don't think so? I never had that app, my laptop started at windows 7 and is now at 10. And surely it would have been an issue before now? The battery has been performing flawlessly for months until a couple of days ago.

2. I sent their support an email, it says it has an 18 month warranty, so we'll see what sort of hoops I have to jump through. I'm generally a warranty skeptic. ;)

3. The cord has been damaged for a long time (probably since before the new battery came into my life if we're being honest :oops: ), but I kept forgetting to ask my husband where he had stashed the tape (in his truck as it happens!). I would think it would have posed an issue long before now if that were the case, right? I mean, the cord doesn't move, it's got it's own little corner where I can sit in the recliner and charge if necessary. I don't carry it around the house like I do the laptop.

Edited to add: not sure how large you are anticipating the damage to be, but it's a small wear spot that's less than an inch long and doesn't go all the way around the cord.

#5 ·
. I don't think so? I never had that app, my laptop started at windows 7 and is now at 10. And surely it would have been an issue before now? The battery has been performing flawlessly for months until a couple of days ago.
I did not know whether you had it or not, and if by chance someone had configured it as optimize for battery life

2. The request to Anker, has to be tried even if - as you say, you get no where.

3. I read this
my charger cord had some exposed wires from getting caught in the recliner, but I covered them with electrical tape
as trapped and damaged not as
but it's a small wear spot that's less than an inch long
All I can say is, if you feel satisfied that this CANNOT be the cause, then you must look to the battery or some other setting
Were it to be me, unless you can completely eliminate any chance of bare wires touching or being joined by metal if there is any in the recliner, I would try another charger, not of course by buying, hopefully by borrowing just for test purposes.

CHECK please if it charges when NOT powered on, only connected to power adapter.
It maybe if it does then charge 100% that it is a Windows 10 app that is causing the problem

#6 ·
Thanks for your response. I have no idea where to get another power adapter, however, I have successfully used the laptop plugged in to the adapter without the battery installed...would that eliminate any question about the adapter? And no, it doesn't charge any farther by the laptop being turned off.

P.S. Anker tells me to wipe everything down with rubbing alcohol. I guess I'll give that a try, but I'm not holding my breath.

#7 ·
I have no idea where to get another power adapter, however, I have successfully used the laptop plugged in to the adapter without the battery installed...would that eliminate any question about the adapter
Perhaps depending on where you are situated and the availability of local services, for a small fee and obviously a returnable deposit, the local computer repair business may lend you one. My local two computer repairers would do such, but then I live in the country - out of main towns and they rely very much on local business.

There is a Microsoft driver called
Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery driver.
If you have it you will find it in device manager under batteries entry
expand it and see if it is listed
If it is right click and click disable

Shut down and see if charges full - not when windows is in use
I do not think this Control Method comes into use until windows is running, but it is worth a try#

The battery connections which Anker have recommended cleaning include connections which sense state of charge, so although you say you are not holding your breath - it is certainly worth trying

The fact the laptop is working OK when running on power would tend to suggest the adapter is in good order, but it is not a guarantee that this is so.

#8 ·
So I stopped by my local repair store yesterday, they don't carry anything for Lenovo. Which, since they seem to be mostly a custom build + Apple place, I'm not exactly shocked. I guess I should have taken the adapter with me though, maybe they have a way test it, I didn't think to ask. I also live in a fairly small community.

I cleaned the contacts and battery bay like they said last night, turned it off, and tried to charge it. It was the same story, different day. Then I thought maybe if I drained it before I plugged it in it might make a difference, but it didn't. It charged just fine, right up until it hit that 67% mark, and then it goes back to saying "plugged in, not charging".

I am getting ready to try the driver thing you suggested, wish me luck!

#9 ·
So I just fired up the laptop again, and I had to re-enable the driver so that I could see the battery charge %, and it's still the same. I gave it nearly 2 hours, it seems as though it charges either all the way (or nearly all the way) from 10% in that amount of time, especially since it was powered off. The fact that it didn't budge tells me that this isn't the answer either.

Since I didn't think to ask them yesterday when I was there, I'm going to call my local computer store when they open to see if they have a way to test the adapter to rule it out completely.

#10 ·
Try this

1. Shut down the computer.
2. With the battery in (but remove AC adapter), hold down the power button for 30 seconds.
3. Remove the battery.
4. Again, hold down the power button for 30 seconds.
5. Re-attach the battery, plug in the AC adapter, and turn on the computer. The battery should begin charging

#12 ·
Good luck I have no more suggestions to make

#13 ·
Macboatmaster,

I just wanted to say thank you for your help! I don't know what happened, but I seem to be getting a full charge again, right as the company decided to send me a new battery. I'm torn about whether to send it back, because mine is working again, or just keep it in case this one decides to be difficult again. I'll probably keep it, but I might feel guilty if this one keeps working.

Anyway, thanks again!

#14 ·
Outstanding support from the company
What you do is of course your decision
I feel reasonably certain they would probably reply to keep it anyway, but the choice is yours
I have no idea why it suddenly started working again

Mark the topic solved please, by clicking the mark solved button on your post

#15 ·
It is outstanding support, and I'd definitely buy from them again--goodness knows that not every item is perfect, but it's really great when a company stands behind their product like this. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.