Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cannot update MSE ?

Solved 
1K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  Deleted member 1035443 
G
#1 ·
Been targeted by a scammer sending scam mails with attachments (not opened) and now I cannot update MSE but everything else works ok

Is there an update link please?

#2 ·
An update for Microsoft Security Essentials was released yesterday via Windows Update.
It updates it from version 4.9.218.0 to version 4.10.205.0

What other security-related programs are you using besides MSE?

--------------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
Go here, then click the "Download Now @ Bleeping Computer" button to download and save AdwCleaner.exe to your desktop.
If you get a warning that this file is unsafe, ignore the warning.
Close all open windows first, then double-click AdwCleaner.exe to load its main window.
Click the "Scan" button, then allow the scanning process to finish.
Several seconds may pass before the scanning process starts and completes, so be patient.
Click the "Clean" button, then click "OK".
Allow the cleaning process to finish.
When it's finished, click "OK" in each window that appears.
The computer will restart.
When the log appears during restart, save it.
Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE log here.

-------------------------------------------------------------

#8 · (Edited)
Always ensure you download the latest AdwCleaner either from BleepingComputer where my colleague sent you to or from the AdwCleaner site - toolslib
https://toolslib.net/blog/viewpost/2016/09/14/48-adwcleaner-v6020/

So after it has scanned if it has not found anything you can simply uninstall it and keep the link for the next time you download
If you look at my screenshot you can then uninstall
DO NOT uninstall if it has found anything as doing so will remove the restore function on my next screenshot - if by cleaning you need then to restore to before the scan and removal

Rectangle Operating system Font Screenshot Software

Communication Device Tablet computer Rectangle Portable communications device Mobile device

On the BleepingComputer site other programs are offered on the same page as AdwCleaner
such as RKill, ComboFix etc. I advise you not to run other such programs. ComboFix for instance run by the non-expert can easily prevent you even accessing windows.
If you should at anytime experience problems after scans with MSE and AdwCleaner please come back and post for advice.

Reactions: Bambinoo
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.