Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

No programs wont restore

2K views 32 replies 2 participants last post by  thecraigyo 
#1 ·
Hi all i have a problem that is driving me insane my hard drive recently died so i bought a new western Digital 2tb.

I couldn't afford to buy windows for £90+ so i got a copy from eBay on a USB stick with serialfor £19 it installed fine everything worked until my i had to restart my PC.

PC booted and the screen was black so i read a few things online and relised i could log on blind screen so i did and the desktop showed but icons had gone and no programs would open correctly.

Last night i left it on just was angry at it and after it went to screen saver all icons had came back and programs would open. The issue continues each day now and am sick of it.

Has anyone got any ideas what could be wrong. Thanks in advance

#28 ·
Uninstall AVAST free
After we have completed testing, and further attempted solutions you can if you wish of course reinstall it.
Although IMHO the situation is as this

Avast is I think the free edition
You would I think find a smoother performance in windows 10 including the speed of windows completing loading with the included windows defender
IMHO the same applies to many 3rd party antivirus programs on 10 as it does to the other 3rd party tools I mentioned
As it is the free edition I recommend you try Defender and assess the difference

see my post 2
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/...alling-norton-antivirus.1178941/#post-9299555

and as I have said on this site a number of times.
Another aspect of many third party antivirus programs is there incompatibility with Windows 10.
The AV company work extremely hard to try and ensure that their product is compatible and indeed it is usually so when installed. It appears to me that what then happens is that Windows issue an update which involves system changes to data in an area WHERE the AV has also installed some control method.
This is when the incompatibility occurs.

Windows 10 has a unique file system and many third party applications can cause havoc.
So go control panel programs and features uninstall Avast
REBOOT

go here
https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

install
and follow carefully the instructions re Safe mode and the caution re what you are uninstalling
How to boot safe mode
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode
REBOOT

Go Control Panel
Windows Defender
Turn it on
Settings > Update & security > Windows Defender.
update it
and run a quick scan
If it finds anything allow it to deal with it and then post the scan log please

When you have done that test again please the startup login

#30 ·
Please explain

i did everything up untill i couldnt open update & Settings it wont open
Please remember that I cannot see what is occurring All I have is what you tell me

What stage in the details of my post are you up to
what is it you are trying to open
update and settings - what
What message if any is received
If no message what happens

#32 ·
I did not know there was an update and settings - entry in control panel
I know there is a windows update
is that what you refer to when you say it will not open

do you have a windows defender icon

The way I suggested was notifications area
settings
update and security
then the defender entry

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.