Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Videos wont load

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  RT 
#1 ·
I have windows 7. I cant seem to play any videos from anime websites. It would say "the media could not be played, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported." This started today after i came home from school. Youtube and Twitch work perfectly fine. My chrome and flash are up to date. Please help

#7 ·
Most "streaming" media that plays in a browser, doesn't use a media player nor the installed video codecs. So installing a codec pack likely isn't a solution. And it certainly wouldn't be the first step until we know what exactly isn't working and/or the actual file type.

#8 ·
Working with a lot of unknowns here. Wasn't sure if the videos were being downloaded and played or streamed through the browser.

What is the website, maybe we can start there. Although if it's behind a paywall or account-based, we won't necessarily be able to access the videos.

#11 ·
I don't use Netflix or Hulu.
The OP asked about anime websites not paid streaming services - big difference!

I know in the past Netflix required MS Silverlight. I had a free 1 month trial and the laptop came with Silverlight installed because of this. (In fact, in the past, Netflix would not stream in linux because of the Silverlight requirement.)

#13 · (Edited)
Wasn't sure if the videos were being downloaded and played or streamed
Have to jump in here in agreement there, and say we still don't know if it's a stream or web media thing.

But the first post said :
It would say "the media could not be played, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported."
So I'm pointing out that crazykiddo1 said "media", and referring to an anime website, like one was just going online for a web based video...not sure how many anime websites stream...? Until we know otherwise. So like fishscene said, we can't yet be sure til we have more info from the poster of the prob.

(BTW, I agree with plodr that VLC is a versatile and solid player, it works as a browser helper in Firefox and Chrome for me, as well as a stand alone tool that can take any odd format I've thrown at it!) I don't know about the streaming use, because I don't use VLC exclusively...but it's a good thing to have on standby, and have found it reliable and useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.