Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Batteries not working in Dell Inspiron

790 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  plodr 
#1 ·
Help! 4 days ago, out of the blue, my Dell Inspiron 17R 5737 shot up an error message that my battery had "suffered permanent failure" and needed to be replaced, and that the computer would power down if I removed the AC adapter. True to its promise, it shut down as soon as it was unplugged. I ordered a new battery (not a Dell brand), which arrived today.

I shut the computer down and installed the new battery. On rebooting, I received the message "the batter cannot be identified" and the "system will be unable to charge the battery." I did some research.

Found suggestion of flashing BIOS. Put old battery back in, because it's showing 92% charge vs. 0% charge on new battery, and did the BIOS updated; problem NOT solved.
Read another suggestion of powering down, removing cord, removing battery, holding power button 5-10 seconds, reassembling and rebooting; problem NOT solved.
Have removed battery, unplugged and allowed to sit for 1 hour; problem not solved.
Read suggestion to drain battery down and then reboot on battery power; new battery does not have enough power to do this and computer shuts down when old battery with 92% charge is in the machine and the machine is unplugged (it will not boot without the cord plugged in).

At this point, the old battery will show as 92% charged and charging for about 30-45 seconds after reboot, then changes to plugged in but not charging.

It's not an adapter issue; I have three adapters for this machine - 2 at home and 1 at work, and I am having the same problem everywhere.

What else is left for me to try? I cannot stay tethered to the wall with this computer!

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.