Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Ray DVD and Windows 10

Tags
blue ray
1K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
To my surprise I could not play my blue ray movie dvd on my brand new windows 10 computer! This is 2016 and I would have thought something so obvious would have been one of the priorities for the new operating system yet it was completely overlooked. Do I have to go out and buy some software or is there somewhere I can safely download blue ray dvd software for free? Thanks for any advice. Cordeiro

#2 ·
What's the brand name and model name and model number of your new computer?
Is it a desktop or a laptop?

The Windows operating system doesn't determine what type of DVD's a disc drive can play.
The description of the disc drive in the computer determines if it supports and plays Blu-ray DVD's.

---------------------------------------------------------------

#3 ·
BluRay and DVD's are two separate things. To play them you need third party software, MS doesn't include them as it's an extra cost licensing the rights to include them and only a small percentage of people use their PC's for watching movies from discs(even fewer computers come with BR drives), but if you buy a big brand system they usually include the playback software if the computer comes with a DVD or BR drive; so it's usually left up to the hardware vendor to provide the support if needed.

There isn't much for free,great, and easy BR software unlike for DVD, this is the only one I've heard of that supposedly works well: http://www.leawo.org/blu-ray-player/

VLC and MPC-HT work well for DVD but need a some work to make BR playback work, unless that has changed recently.

For paid software CyberLink has a really good player, it's usually the one the big brand name builders include.

If your computer came a with a BR drive then it should have come with playback software. What PC did you buy?

#12 ·
T5Q91PA#ABJ
The ABJ part of the product number seems to indicate your laptop sold in an oriental country.
The T5Q91PA part of the product number seems to indicate your laptop is a HP 15-af100 series model.
According to the hardware specs for that model laptop, it shows it as having a "Super-multi DVD burner" drive.

--------------------------------------------------------------

#13 ·
Yep the computer was purchased in Japan actually online as I live in Japan. So it looks like I'll have to download some software should I wish to play blu ray discs on it. The computer is actually 10 months old but I consider it new and I just thought they would have designed the computer to play blu ray discs given it is the latest.

#14 ·
You cannot download any software to make BD play on your computer. You need to replace the drive with a BR capable drive; the hardware is different. BD is NOT an upgrade to DVD, it's a new standard. Also new doesn't mean it has to support every new thing, BD drives are more expensive and not included by default yet, especially since most people have no need for it and disc media is starting to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.