Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ooops!..used computer purchase didn't have a graphics card

Solved 
2K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  hhannam 
#1 · (Edited)
I was attempting to help my neighbor get more bang for his buck by purchasing a used desktop computer with a decent CPU and managed to finally suggest a used HP Compaq Pro 6300 MT with an Intel Core i5-3470 3.20 GHz CPU, 8 GB, 1 TB HD, Windows 10...winning bid was $161 total price. The problem was that I totally missed the final note of the eBay ad description which stated that a graphics card was not included. Once I got the computer set up and running there was an immediate problem of the screen content running outside the borders of the screen, and it took a lot of phone calls and unsuccessful troubleshooting before it was finally realized that the graphics card was missing. While I'm not absolutely certain, that in all likelihood is the probable cause of the screen content overrun.

What I would appreciate would be to here from some folks who are more technically knowledgeable than myself to help me get my neighbor up and running normally as soon as possible....(and help me to resolve this embarrassing predicament for which I'm to blame). It is terribly difficult to operate a computer when half the taskbar, all of the start button, most of the upper row of your browser, and so on are out of sight and you have to go blind cursor fishing with hopes of finding them to keep operating.

I'm calling HP on Monday to get some confirming info on which cards are compatible with this unit, their asking price, and hopefully some advice on installation, but I suspect I'll still come away with needing some additional assistance on this matter from this forum. It is also my understanding that once the card is installed I can download the driver set from HP.

If anyone thinks they can make a contribution on this matter at this point, then fire away. The user has no special graphics needs, just ordinary computer usage for web surfing, email, etc. Thanks for your interest.

See less See more
#4 ·

Thanks for you reply Derek. Let me start out by saying I am/was suffering from a degree of ignorance on this (concept) matter of a "graphics card" vs. integrated graphics myself. I am uncertain why the eBay seller chose to state that a graphics card was not included......why would he think that statement would be necessary if the computer didn't include one when new?....perhaps when the seller took possession of this computer the prior owner had added a card and he/they had removed it before reselling. In any case this situation implies that a missing graphics card may not be the problem source of the screen overrun after all. As I stated previously, I intend to call HP today, so thanks to you I'll be better informed on this issue.

As for the driver updating...both myself, and also a Microsoft tech sprt rep (by remote control of the computer) checked for the latest drivers for the graphics. I actually had first uninstalled the drivers, and then restarted to computer to have them load freshly. I then tried selecting the update option and got a message that the drivers were all updated to the latest versions. The MS rep got the same result, so it doesn't appear to be a missing (graphics) driver problem either, but I will indeed repeat the process as your proposal suggested as soon as I can access my neighbor's computer again.

We also both had accessed the system resolution and it was set at the next to the highest resolution possible in both cases....so I don't thinks it's running in VGA 640 x 480.

Don't know what else to say at this point.....I'll get back with you after applying your suggestions.

#5 ·
HP Compaq Pro 6300 Microtower PC
This site shows you the different hardware and Windows operating system options for your computer.

If your computer did come with an Intel Core i5-3470 3.20 GHz processor, it does have Intel HD Graphics 2500 integrated graphics.

The graphics driver that Derek linked you to is the most current driver for that graphics device for Windows 10 64-bit.
I know that for a fact because it's the same Windows 10 64-bit driver that I'm using with the same graphics device.
Rectangle Font Parallel Electric blue Screenshot

--------------------------------------------------------------

#6 ·
HP Compaq Pro 6300 Microtower PC
This site shows you the different hardware and Windows operating system options for your computer.

If your computer did come with an Intel Core i5-3470 3.20 GHz processor, it does have Intel HD Graphics 2500 integrated graphics.

The graphics driver that Derek linked you to is the most current driver for that graphics device for Windows 10 64-bit.
I know that for a fact because it's the same Windows 10 64-bit driver that I'm using with the same graphics device.
View attachment 252826

--------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks Frank.....Did you see my reply above to Derek? Yes indeed it has that processor and I'll be trying his suggestion as soon as I can get access to my neighbor's computer again. If that driver doesn't solve the screen overrun issue, do you have any thoughts on what else could be causing the screen problem?

Just as an afterthought, is it possible to somehow remove or disengage the integrated graphics from the motherboard? I don't suppose we'd be seeing anything if that were the case though.....

#7 ·
If you are seeing any kind Windows display on the screen, the monitor is running from some kind of video controller in the computer.

Can you confirm that the monitor is connected to the motherboard's built in video controller? With the mini-tower in an upright position, the connections are to the right of the fans, and not on any of the expansion slots below the fan.

What is the brand and exact model number of the monitor being used? Do you know its native resolution?

Have you tried lowering the display controllers output resolution? You should be able to get to the control panel by right clicking on an uncovered portion of the Windows desktop and selecting Display Properties or Screen Resolution. If you know the display's native resolution, try to set the controller 's output to the same resolution.

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks Chuck.....The monitor is actually an HDTV, and it is connected to the computer via a/the display port on the computer that has an adapter plug/cable inserted and then on to the HDTV thru an HDMI cable. It's a Dynex HDTV, about six years old, and I have no way of knowing what the native resolution is, but I have tried several different resolution settings to no avail, so I reset it back to the "recommended" setting.

#8 ·
This is what the front and rear of that HP Compaq Pro 6300 Microtower probably looks like.

Product Audio equipment Output device Font Gas

The blue port (3rd one down on the right side of the case) is the integrated graphic port in the motherboard that a monitor connects to.
If that computer does have a dedicated graphic card, it'll be in one of the horizontal slots at the bottom of the case and it'll have one or more graphic ports.

-------------------------------------------------------------

#9 ·
I can see in the original post, it says TV not monitor
are you connecting a hdmi lead to the TV rather than using the monitor leads.
I have seen loads of HDMI problems with display issues on old computers, where the TV hdmi standard is newer and not completely compatible

#12 ·
You might have something there. I am using a display port on the computer with a display port to HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable. How can I connect it another way? The HDTV is about six years old and only has HDMI inputs....I think. I'll double check when I get there again.

#16 ·
Glad to hear you worked it out.

I would suggest your neighbor not skimp on the VGA cable. Thinner VGA cables with tiny and barely shielded video lines can really degrade higher resolution video signals when you start going beyond about 6 feet.

#17 ·

Ouch!.....he ordered a $5 cable earlier today from an eBay listing. Neither of us knew about the size of the cable thickness being an issue. Since seeing this post I took another look a multiple listings on eBay and apparently there is no posted spec on the gauge/thickness of the cable.....how can you tell if it's a "too thin" cable Chuck? Just buy a more expensive cable to improve you chances? Do you have to make an eyeball judgement? Seems like there's no foolproof selection process.

#18 · (Edited)
My current 6 foot VGA cable is between 5/16 and 3/8 inch diameter and it is handling 1920x1080P @ 60 Hz with no problems. The first one I tried a few years ago was nine feet long and closer to maybe a 1/4 inch diameter. Vertical edges of a light colored box on a dark background were a bit blurry. Small print was difficult to read as well. There are other factors that affect how well a cable can pass high resolution video, but I would be suspicious of thin cable at a very low price.

A thinner overall cable diameter suggests that smaller diameter individual video cables are being used inside. In turn, thinner individual cables would have smaller diameter center conductors, having a higher series resistance, resulting in more signal loss. A smaller diameter individual cable would also have higher capacitance between the center conductor and shield, resulting in more losses at higher frequencies as well as smoothing out sharp transitions in signal levels.

#19 ·
I get your drift Chuck, and I appreciate the advice. Too bad it's so hard to tell from pictures what the thickness of the wires are. I don't have an automobile any longer and tend to do a lot more online shopping than when I still had one, so unless there's a posted spec the pictures are all I have to make the assessment. If my neighbor runs into a problem with his $5/15 ft cable I'll post a note to let you and others know to be especially conscious about this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.