Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Router

1K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I am new to this kind of thing and was just wondering if it was possible to just simply replace my old router with a new upgraded one without any real issue. I know the steps to replacing and setting up a new router I just have some questions.Will it make my network speed faster? Will I have to talk to my service provider? Will upgrading my Ethernet cables speed it up?Any information would be appreciated.
P.S is the fact that my router plugs into a phone jack really outdated or is that just normal.

#2 ·
P.S is the fact that my router plugs into a phone jack really outdated or is that just normal.
It means that your "router" is actually a DSL modem/router combination unit. If it is owned by your ISP you may want to first see if they will upgrade it or what they suggest. It's "normal" in the sense that many ISP's are now renting those and some people prefer them. I am one of those who prefer owning my own modem and separate router.

Your internet access bandwidth will not be increased with a new modem or router. Depending on your current router and devices your LAN (ethernet and/or wireless) may be increased.

#5 ·
I'm sorry,
I don't really understand this kind of thing. My ISP says I should be getting 3.0 Mbps download and 1.0 Mbps upload. The test said I'm actually getting 0.8 Mbps download and 0.2 Mbps upload. I'm really just trying to find anyway to speed it up. My modem goes down about once ever three days and takes hours to come back on. I live in rural area so I understand it might be difficult but I'm just trying to see if there is anything I can buy to make it better.
Thank you for your help

#6 ·
Well first we need to figure out why you are getting low speeds. The upload speed is a big issue since you are getting 20% of what you are supposed to get.

Since you mention phone jacks and the speed, I take it you have a DSL connection? What modem model number do you have? Who is the internet provider?

#8 ·
It's terrible to be getting such slow speeds, but you may be too far from the central office (or "booster" station) to get any better. See if you can get some insights from your ISP (especially about whether you are at about the limit for DSL range) and see if they can do anything to improve your service.

The modem/router could be the source of your problems, but it's not easy to determine unless you try another or your ISP tests to determine what your real service level is. Was your service at this location with this modem/router ever significantly better? If so, did it go downhill slowly or suddenly?

#10 ·
It could also be due to a bad filter, but can you get a technician to do a line test and bring a new modem?

It does seem like the modem is at fault here. Are you able to factory reset the modem?

Since this is a wireless modem, do you have any wireless connections that are not secured?
Do you have any computers that could be running a peer-to-peer software like BitTorrent?

#11 ·
I agree with James about the need for whatever testing you can get your ISP to do. Also agree that it could be a bad filter. It could also be the phone company's line or equipment.

But the issue of the service getting worse and resetting the modem/router is a temporary fix indicates to me a failing modem/router.

No easy way to determine the culprit other than trying replacements or with test equipment that only your ISP has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.