Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
I have an HP Pavilion Series desktop serial number 2md3380gp5. Model number p7-1380t. I can't remember if I was running Windows 7 or 8. I had a virus awhile back (ransomeware) and did a factory reset on the computer. All of my stuff was backed up, so that wasn't a problem. I don't have backup disks with this computer. I bought it a few years ago and can't remember if they sent them with or not.

Anyway, it was working fine for a few months and I wasn't doing anything special with it. It started shutting down, than shutting down when I was doing virus scans, progressively until it locked me out completely and I couldn't do another factory reset.

Now, when I try to boot it up, it says,

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 083)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

This product is covered by one or more of the following patents (please message me if you really want all the patent numbers)

Realtek PCI3 GBE Family Controller Series v2.44 (10/07/11)

CLIENT MAC ADDR: 74 46 A0 BA 31 DF GUID: 8550415C-6098-C214-B642-765476BE08E6PXE-E53: No boot filename received

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE Rom

Error: No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed.

Suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
One reason for shutdowns is heat related......have u taken off the side panel and checked the heatsink/fan on the motherboard for dust/debris build up?
Next go into the bios and see if the harddrive is detected......if there is no harddrive listed,chances are the harddrive has died
That would be why it is trying to boot from the next in the boot list (pxe)

#3 ·
Yes, I took off the side panel a couple of days ago and cleaned out the inside. It was pretty dusty. I used the stuff they recommend for computers. I'm not sure what you mean by 'go into the bios'. Do you just mean turn it on? Because I've tried to reboot a few times since than and gotten the same screen every time.

#5 ·
Hello and welcome to TSG!!

It sure sounds like your HDD has gone belly up. That was possibly the cause of your recent problems. It was starting to go south, and now it finally made the trip ...

Most likely your recovery was done using the hidden recovery partition most manufacturers include on the drive. However, when the drive dies, so does your ability to use the recovery partition. You might try to see if HP still sells the Recovery CDs (DVDs) for that model.

#6 ·
I don't have backup disks with this computer. I bought it a few years ago and can't remember if they sent them with or not.
Usually they are not included; you are prompted to make backup dvds when you first pw ON the system. If you did not make them [disks] you can purchase restore disks from hp. They are not free however the charge is usually nominal.
If your hard drive is not detected in the bios, it has probably failed. You can try opening the case and reseating both the pw and data connectors on the drive. To do this, first have the system shutdown. Now remove the pw cord from the back of the unit. Press the ON button 2~3 times; this removes all residual charge from the pw supply capacitors. Now open the case and reseat the hard drive connectors. This probably will not do anything however it is worth a shot AND it costs nothing. Most likely you will need to replace the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.