Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avira suddenly won't start

27K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Computermate 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am in need of urgent help.

I have Avira antivirus installed on my system which is Windows XP.

Normally Avira works fine, today it is no longer appearing in the system tray and when I click on the
icon to run it WON"T Start. I hate being unprotected, so any help to get this stupid software to run
again is highly appreciated.

#5 ·
You must be aware that you are using an old OS which, over time, will stop being supported by many types of software. According to Avira's product Lifecycle page, they supported XP until April 2015 and stopped 'Engine and signatures updates' in April this year; https://www.avira.com/en/support-product-lifecycle so reinstalling Avira seems unlikely to provide much protection.

If they haven't already done so, I expect the makers of most, if not all, mainstream AV products will stop supporting XP very soon. I use an Eset product and I believe they may be continuing to support XP until early next year, but they do not provide a free version.

#6 ·
#13 ·
Interesting thread...seems I need to shop around for a new app although Avira works fine on my Win XP Pro. The info provided in the registration information shows it is good until 1\2\2018.
Product version 15.0.20.59 8/25/2016

Rectangle Font Computer Operating system Screenshot

#14 · (Edited)
Extremely interesting, particularly when you consider that the 'Feature set - System Requirements' list on the 'avira.com/personal' page only includes Windows 7, 8 & 10

"Before you install Avira Free Antivirus, please verify that your
system meets these minimum specifications:

Operating Systems:
Windows 10
(32-bit or 64-bit)
Windows 8.1
(32-bit or 64-bit)
Windows 8 (32-bit or 64-bit)
Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit)"

PS. Perhaps Avira are generously maintaining some part of the product for existing XP customers only, although that would contradict the information given on their Lifecycle page?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.