Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can I make 3 wireless networks behave as 1?

680 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  zx10guy 
#1 ·
Due to the fridge in the kitchen blocking the wireless network, I have set up additional connections around the flat. All together I have three separate wireless networks. One router that came with the internet package, another router for VPN services and thirdly, a Devolo Powerline Adapter (1200+ Wifi) for the living room area.

My girlfriend has complained that her laptop and mobile phone keep switching between all three networks depending on where she is in the flat. We've had to turn off automatic connection on our devices and we now choose a particular network each time we want to connect to.

However, this is obviously a bit of a hassle, so I was wondering if it's possible to somehow connect all three together, like as if they behaved as a single network? In other words, is it possible to set up a system where you only connect with one password but you can freely roam around the flat being connected with the power of all three?

Not sure if this is wishful thinking :)

#2 ·
Yes it is possible. But no it's not possible with the equipment you have. What you are experiencing is the text book reason why running multiple individual access points or wireless routers on the same network just doesn't work well; especially when you have more than 2 on the network. The problem gets worse as you add more individual access points or wireless routers. Situations like yours is why I've been very vocal about the use of multiple autonomous access points or wireless routers are a bad idea.

What you need is a business grade wireless system that has all access points centrally managed. There are various manufacturers that sell systems that you should consider. These are Aruba Networks, Ubiquiti, Aerohive, Merkai, and Ruckus. The companies sell APs which have intelligence built in to them that can create a cluster when they see another AP on the same network. You only need to configure one SSID. The system manages power output between APs so they're not stomping over each other. The system also helps divert wireless clients to specific APs based on AP loading and signal strength. The system does auto channel selection on each AP based on the current RF situation in your home to find the channels with the least interference. The resulting benefit of all of this seamless roaming from one end of your house to another.

The above system is what most businesses use in their deployments and what I use in my home network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.