Tech Support Guy banner

Playing guitar

156K views 1K replies 39 participants last post by  ekim68 
#1 ·
Seems like a good place to share ideas and tips on playing the guitar. I'm an old rocker who was influenced by The Ventures, and later Eric Clapton and Jimi, and nowadays Joe Satriani and Paul Gilbert....
On chords: My suggestion on playing chords is to start with a song you know, even a simple two chord song, and play it over and over until the strings don't rattle. :)
On dexterity: I have an old 1929 Royal manual typewriter that I bang on to build up strength in my fingers. (It helps to type a variety of letters to change the memory of your fingers..;) )

#764 ·
keyboard, moi?...not to the point I ever played in public, just a dabble, playing by ear - don't think I've ever played an entire song on the black and whites, just experimenting all the while...
sometimes it works, but I rarely recall what I've played, but I can play enough to convince my friends I actually play ;)
I took piano lessons as a young fellow, but have forgotten how to read sheet music at a glance...

Would really like to get into electronic keyboards, the possibilities are endless there, but $$$ ya know, for the good stuff.
I only have my grandma's piano now and it's a bit out of tune and many keys are sticking to the point of frustration..so I dabble little there theses days.

#772 ·

Alquier appeals to eco-conscious guitarists with Cosmic One launch

Exotic hardwoods are getting harder to come by and tighter tonewood regulations are having an impact on guitar making. Over the last few years, many leading manufacturers have been raiding wood piles from demolished buildings or using materials that are easier to come by. But France's Alquier Guitars is going all out for its Cosmic builds, turning away from tropical wood, making use of sustainable bamboo and breaking out titanium hardware.

#773 ·
Interesting...and cool looking guitar!
Bamboo as one of the woods?
Wonder what would happen if ya played one near the Panda paddock at the zoo? ;)

I used to play a Travis Bean, made from Hawaiian Koa and aluminum...guess that would be considered a tropical wood. Very heavy, and the aluminum made it a bit tricky to keep in tune when playing outdoors on cold evenings.
Think I've mentioned this before, though.

Had I known how much they can sell for now :eek:

#782 ·

George Harrison's first electric guitar tops the bill at Music Icons auction

On May 19 at the Hard Rock Cafe in New York, music lovers and collectors will get their chance to snag a treasure trove of memorabilia linked to rock and pop icons. Among many items of clothing, handwritten song lyrics and instruments once owned and played by rock's greatest stars is an gem of a find that's not been seen in public since 1965.

The star of the whole Music Icons auction is undoubtedly George Harrison's first electric guitar. When the early Beatles (then called The Quarrymen) moved from acoustic skiffle band to travel on the road to electric rock and pop megastardom, George Harrison and John Lennon both took ownership of an almost identical pair of Hofner Club 40 guitars - Lennon first, closely followed by Harrison.