Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethernet Connection Issue

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  LIS333 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, since Saturday, my wired connection has been having serious issues. After several minutes I repeatedly lose and regain connection, and it gradually worsens until I am more disconnected than I am connected, making it near impossible to browse the web. It seems to mainly disconnect when I'm actually actively using the internet. I've had both the laptop and the modem for a while, no major changes there in updates or anything like that.

I have obviously rebooted both my laptop and the modem several times, unplugged and replugged everything. I can connect to the modem via WiFi, so it doesn't seem to be a direct compatibility issue between the two. Other computers in my house can connect to the modem via wire no problem, so it doesn't look like it's the modem Ethernet connection either. I've tried three separate wires, none solve the issue, so not that either. I tried connecting to a friend's modem via cable, which posed no issues, so it's not the port itself that is damaged. I have reinstalled the network adapter driver software (Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller 10.2.703.2015), to no avail.

I have an ASUS R752L laptop, and a Proximus b-box 3 modem. I ordered a USB-Ethernet adapter when I thought it might be the port, so I'll see if that works when it arrives, but I doubt it. Any help at all would be very much appreciated!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 61 Stepping 4
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 6014 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 371 GB (220 GB Free); D: 558 GB (480 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., X751LJ
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled => I have Avast Free Antivirus, and according to it, it's activated...

See less See more
#2 ·
1. You've ruled out the cable by trying 3 different ethernet cables.
2. You've ruled out the NIC because you've attached your computer to a different (modem/router - usually a modem only has 1 port).
3. Others in your home can connect to the modem/router by cable and have no problem.
4. You've ruled out the network because your computer works fine with wifi just not connected.

The only thing I can think of that remains to try is using a different yellow LAN port to connect your computer.

Have you tried all4 of the ports? If not, try each in turn. Perhaps one of the ports is bad.

#3 ·
This sounds like PC narcolepsy. Open Device Manager and expand Network Adapters. Right click each one and choose properties. If there is a Power tab, select it and see if any check marks. This is a turn off Power save mode. Uncheck any boxes, save for each, close the windows and restart. If this does it, you've found the problem. Warning, Windows Update periodically resets this thus bringing the issue back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Thank you for you suggestions. I've used different LAN ports, as the different wires were plugged into different ports. I also tried your suggestion, LIS333, but it didn't help. I also tried a system restore, which changed nothing.

PS: I've added my system info in a spoiler in the original post.

#5 ·
Maybe that particular adapter and router are having trouble negotiating a speed. In Device Manager right click the ethernet - Properties - Advanced tab - for the 'Speed & Duplex' property try different values, beginning with '100 Mbps full duplex.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.