Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Motherboard and Processor switch

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  TRAEDAE2020 
#1 ·
I have a Dell Inspiron AIO with AMD processor. I want to switch over to Intel core i processor and graphics card, which motherboard, graphics card, and core i processor should I get? Here is my system info.

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: AMD E1-2500 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 22 Model 0 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3523 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 8240, 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 457 GB (365 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 009XW6
Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

#2 ·
Hello TRAEDAE2020,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but what you are hoping to achieve is highly unlikely being that the computer is an all in one (AIO) and for the following reasons;

The Dell Inspiron 20 009XW6 AIO MB is not a standard ATX type meaning that any replacement Intel MB would have to be the exact size and shape + have the mounting screw openings in the same location.

There is no discreet add on video card in the computer, the graphics are provided by way of the processor (CPU) and the system RAM.

Add on video cards require a lot more power than what an AIO supply can provide (AIO power supplies are basically only a notebook or screen AC adapter) and there simply isn`t the room inside of an AIO chassis to accommodate an add on video card.

#4 ·
RAM: 3523 Mb
Depends on what you are hoping to achieve and the specific model name or number of the Dell AIO that you have as to what any options you may or may not have.

For example, you cannot transform an AIO computer into a gaming rig but you may be able to upgrade the RAM to 8GB to gain the benefits of a 64-bit OS and dual channel capabilities.

Please advise on the exact model name and number of the Dell AIO and let us know what the intended use of the computer you are hoping to achieve.

#5 ·
I have a Dell Inspiron 20 AIO model number 3045. I want it to be faster, max out the memory, and much better processor. The AMD processors burn out in about 3 to 5 years, I only found this out after I got it from Dell. A company I would never do business with again. How could I find out if any of the Intel quad core i processors and motherboards would fit?

#6 ·
The only upgrade that you can do with that model of computer is upgrade the RAM to 8GB, take a look at the info and video here and you will note that the CPU is soldered into the socket on the MB, even if possible to upgrade the CPU it would not be cost effective.

If you Google "dell inspiron 20 aio model number 3045 motherboard" the only results are for the same AMD board and soldered in place CPU suggesting that no other boards are compatible, keep in mind that brand name computers are produced in large quantities using generic components, not such a problem with mid and full ATX desktop computers but small form factors and AIOs that use different size and shape MBs it is another story altogether, the reason why notebooks and AIOs are recommended for school and office type work is because that type of use is not too demanding and does not require an add on video card + an ATX PSU to power it.

Sorry that I can not offer you any other upgrade guidance.

#7 ·
Trying to upgrade a dell, hp or any other big box system is very often an exercise in futility. About the only real "Upgrade" you can do is to add more ram or a larger hd. You are not going to install an atx standard motherboard in that system or just about any other dell system. Dell hardware is proprietary; that is it is mfg to dell's standards and NOT industry standards. This is why an atx standard motherboard will not fit in a dell case, panel connections will not work, etc, etc.
The AMD processors burn out in about 3 to 5 years
Absolutely incorrect. I have one system here with an amd 940 that is used everyday. Still works just fine. That processor is now 8+ years old.....

If you are asking about this so you can upgrade and play games, the very best advise would be to save your money and build a gaming system or have a local shop do the build for you.

#8 ·
Trying to upgrade a dell, hp or any other big box system is very often an exercise in futility. About the only real "Upgrade" you can do is to add more ram or a larger hd. You are not going to install an atx standard motherboard in that system or just about any other dell system. Dell hardware is proprietary; that is it is mfg to dell's standards and NOT industry standards. This is why an atx standard motherboard will not fit in a dell case, panel connections will not work, etc, etc.

Absolutely incorrect. I have one system here with an amd 940 that is used everyday. Still works just fine. That processor is now 8+ years old.....

If you are asking about this so you can upgrade and play games, the very best advise would be to save your money and build a gaming system or have a local shop do the build for you.
I have a close friend in D.C he had to replace the AMD processor in one of his computers twice. Both burned out within 5 years. He left it alone after that, and got an i mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.