Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need help finding the perfect Firewall for a small business

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  zx10guy 
#1 ·
Hello,

I work for a small business who recently purchased and installed a dedicated circuit from AT&T to improve network speeds. Our Cisco 1921 router (AT&T dedicated circuit) only allows us an ethernet connection so we have a second router connected to broadcast a wifi signal throughout the office. With this expansion in our network, we will need a firewall to protect all sensitive information. We have spoken with a few companies and we have had no success with finding the right product. We are looking for a cost-effective firewall that can be connected to our Cisco 1921 router ( AT&T dedicated circuit) as well as connect to our wifi network as well.

Any suggestions or setup ideas? We would like to have a physical firewall and not a cloud-based application.
Thank you for any help!

#8 ·
Yup, changed for the better. I used them starting with their SOHO6tc line which was the most stable router...until you hit the maximum number of licenses for computers allowed to touch the internet. I remember having to reboot the thing mid-day because I accidentally powered up an 11th computer. Glad those days are gone. The new T10 and T30's are in your price range. Amazing little boxes.

#9 ·
I don't remember which model I worked on. It was for a Federal project. It required a site to site VPN tunnel to be stood up between two Fireboxes. The setup was painful and we never got the thing to work properly with the tunnel and firewall/NAT rules. At the time, I was working heavily with Cisco PIX and the ASAs were just hitting the market. I told my project manager they should have gone with an ASA. And they finally decided to do so. We struggled for a week to try to get the Firebox to work and it took me an hour to get the ASA 5505 up and running.

That's why I say, I hope things have improved with the WatchGuards. Since then, I've gained experience with SonicWall and Juniper SRX firewalls. The Juniper firewalls were just plain miserable to work on. The acquistion of Netscreen by Juniper showed....with JUNOS shoved on top of it and a very weak web GUI. I have an SRX210 which I had running in my home lab for a little bit until I decided to shelve it as it wasn't behaving the way I expected with the various security zones I've set up. That's when SonicWall entered the picture. The first product I played with from them was a TZ205W and then came the TZ215W. So I cut my teeth on their 5th gen OS/hardware. I've since moved on to their 6th gen OS/hardware with the TZ300 and TZ400W. There are many things I like about SonicWall and some things I wish they would have or improve on.

I'm going too far off tangent on this. But it's nice to have discussions about other people's experience with hardware I may have had personal experience with a while ago or with hardware I've never touched. Always wondered how Palo Alto, Fortinet, and Checkpoint are to configure and operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.