Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Locked out of admin account for Kali linux and Ubuntu os.

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  saikee 
#1 ·
I got a computer given to me with those two operating systems on it. However I am locked out of the admin account to make any changes and I want to uninstall those os` and put windows 7 back on it. I used a boot disk through the USB port and thought I had gotten somewhere . Deleted the volume or disk c and tried to do d. After I had done so I restarted the comp and then I wasn't able to use the USB boot disk anymore and could still log into either os under the guest account. How do I fix this?

#3 ·
I got the feeling the OP has deleted the contents in the USB boot drive instead of the PC.

Don't use Kali myself but since it is based on Debian similar to Ubuntu then the modern versions would have no Admin account allowed/installed in any installation.

The common approach in Linux now is to use sudo to precede a command that requires the Admin right. The work cannot be done in a desktop and must be executed in a text terminal. A user's password is also required when a command preceded with sudo is first used. Subsequent uses of sudo do not trigger the password requirement again but the situation will lapse after a while and the user password may be required again. Linux is a safe system and that is its current practice.

TerryNet is right that the OP can just go ahead to install Windows 7 by booting up a the Windows 7 installation DVD. This is because the Linux is not run and will appear just as foreign partitions Windows does not support. The Windows installer may complain that there is no space left for the Windows installation as it is duty-bound to preserve all the existing partitions. However the OP can instruct the Windows installer to use the whole disk and thereby removing them before installing Windows 7 on the hard disk. This approach will always work and totally within the capability of any Windows, Linux and another operating system's installer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.