Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Storage Problem

3K views 37 replies 5 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 ·
Hello all:
I'm new here, so please bear with me.

I have a lovely little HP laptop which is fairly limited in its capacity. I love it because it is easy to handle and doesn't hurt my lap. It uses Win10.

The problem is the C drive is completely full. I save everything to my E drive and have a lot on finger drives, but no matter, it never goes down. I even have Word on the E drive. I can't imagine what is taking up all the room. I've emptied the recycle bin and the cache and everything else I can find. I am not getting updates because of this.

Does anyone have any ideas that can help me?

#2 ·
Send please a copy and paste of the info in the white box when you run this - presuming that you can run the program
It is our system info utility
http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

as it is a laptop it may well be that E drive is simply a partition of the one hard drive with the other lettered partition being C
Have you run a disk clean up as here
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...-996f-99e02c7301c2/disk-cleanup-in-windows-10

run the first option and reboot and check
if still no noticeable difference run the second option and the reboot and check again

#4 ·
There is no need to post the reply twice
what is 7MG please
MB megabytes
On the disk cleanup windows you should on 10 have this see screenshot
Also have you check all boxes and does any particular box show a large amount of data
Water Rectangle Font Parallel Slope

Does any download run or do they all fail

#6 ·
With respect it is not of course - MB - me guessing is not good
What is it stuck on calculating IF it reports it has cleaned
If it has not completed it has not cleaned anything
The fact that one box showed it would free 7MB is irrelevant and how many boxes were checked or you checked when the window first opened

What space is shown on C drive when you right click and click properties in explorer and what is the capacity of C drive to start with please

#7 ·
I have signed off I am in the UK
If indeed disk clean-up has not actually run then leave it calculating
As you report the disk is full it will take sometime
If you pics, music and other personal data are stored on C then copy those to a flash pen and CHECK they are all there and then delete them from C
NOT the folder or indeed the User folder, but only the personal data the actual pics and music files and of course any video files.

We need to get some space to run some checks
Back about 110o hrs UK time
Goodnight

#10 ·
Finally got your sysinfo to download. Here's the info you asked for:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N2840 @ 2.16GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 55 Stepping 8
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 1942 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1035 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 28 GB (1 GB Free);
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 8023
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

#15 · (Edited)
You might consider investing into a larger hard drive. 30GB is nothing nowadays and they fill up quite fast even when doing nothing. That's the best most practical solution. That must be an HDD, their price is really low and wouldn't cost you much.

Edit: If it's an HP Stream, everything is soldered to the motherboard and there isn't much you can do. That's just how big is the Hard Drive. Make sure to have just the OS on the main hard drive, while using a large SD Card for every other piece of data.

Windows 10 alone asks for 20GB...

One thing you can do is type "Default Save locations" in the Search space, click on it, and set your default save location for your external storage. That way you won't have to manually adjust the save location every time. Not sure if it will affect the apps though.

#11 ·
NO do not compress
I will post further when I have looked at the last and reviewed what is best now

#13 ·
Open a cmd prompt with admin rights that is
windows button
in search top right
type
cmd
when command prompt appears below right click and click run as admin
If you have it correct the cmd window will be headed
Administrator Command prompt
If you have it wrong it will only be headed prompt prompt

copy and paste into the cnd window at the prompt

%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

and press enter - the cmd window MUST BE LEFT OPEN until all the disk cleanup has completed
When the disk cleanup window opens ALL available clean possibilities will be available
DO NOT CHECK Windows ESD installation files they are required to refresh or reset the computer

All other items can be checked

IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME - do not use the computer for anything else just leave it running
NOTE again the cmd window must be left open until the disk cleanup window closes

Post back please when you have done that and with the space now available

#18 · (Edited)
Now it says 1.53 G of free space. It didn't take long at all, maybe 15 seconds. I don't know whether to trust it or not. I have many updates waiting. Isn't this the same thing we did with Disk Cleanup?

Forgot to say, I right-clicked on open cmd window but no option to run as Admin showed.

#16 ·
sjr1938
how are you progressing please

#21 ·
That's right, it is showing as full. And I guess it is, because it can't upload updates. But is it really? As I told Macboat it now shows more than a G of free space after cmd disk cleanup but can I trust it? And what the hell is taking up all that space on the C drive?

#25 ·
Actually, I have another one, but it's big and heavy. Nevertheless, I guess I'll have to switch over to it. Altogether, I own 4 in various states of repair. One is belly up, more or less. Thank you, Tony, Macboat and all the others who have tried to help me. I do so appreciate it. No doubt I'll be back.
(y)

#26 ·
There are still a couple of things to check please wait until I can continue I expect it to be about 1900

#30 ·
1. Re this
Isn't this the same thing we did with Disk Cleanup?
Not exactly that cmd I sent you is direct to advanced disk cleanup where all options are available. More or less the same as cleanup system files - but you reported did you not, that you could not get that to open.

2. It is indeed a small drive for windows and especially for 64bit HOWEVER there is without doubt a way of creating enough space on C to allow the system to run correctly and 1.5GB is no use.

3. Lets make certain first - what exactly are the options if any for that laptop
Post the full model number from the base of the laptop together with the product number
An example is here
https://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c01660747

4. Go Control Panel and click system
ON left pane click system protection
On the window that opens check if it is turned on for C drive
Then IF IT IS turned on click the configure button and report how much space is allocated please
See this for guidance
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4533-turn-off-system-protection-drives-windows-10-a.html

the images under point 7 and 9 on that link are what you are looking for

Do these first please and then I will provide the next three things I wish to check

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.