Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Acer Laptop Having Screen Issue - Should I refund or fix

761 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Triple6 
#1 ·
Hey all, I'm having a dilemma.

TLDR: my new Acer Aspire E 15 laptop has a messed up screen, should I get a refund and either finance a MacBook or find a used MacBook, or try to repair the Acer?

In mid march I bought a new laptop - an Acer Aspire E 15 from Amazon. A couple weeks ago I opened it and there was a big black spot on the screen with white lines coming from it. The laptop hadn't been dropped or even moved, I don't know what caused it. But reviews on amazon said other people had the same problem a month or two after buying the laptop.

I contacted amazon and they said I can return it for a refund. I contacted the seller and they said I could send it to them for repair. However, I use my laptop for work and couldn't go that long without it for them to fix it. When I contacted Acer about the warranty, they said that since the black spot is "finger shaped" (??) it's not covered under warranty. But it is so large that it's a real problem when trying to work, or even just generally use it.

So now I have to decide whether to get it repaired or get a refund and buy a new laptop. I'm leaning toward the latter. I really want a MacBook and was approved for financing from Apple.
However, my friend made the point that computers are kind of like cars in that they depreciate in value after you buy them. So is it really worth getting a new MacBook and financing it? Or should I look into getting a used one for cheaper? If I get a used one, how old is too old for it not to be worth it? What's a good model? Do you think I'm making the right choice?

The internet said that the Acer Aspire E 15 that I have now is one of the best for the money. And I could also just replace the screen for about $50. Just looking for opinions / advice. I've wanted a MacBook for a while -- I'm a graphic designer. But what would you do in this situation? Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
What you describe sounds like a cracked screen. Can you take a picture of it? Acer doesn't want to cover it because it sounds like physical damage to them.

Going from an Acer to a Mac is almost as far apart as you can go; garbage quality to top quality and Windows to OSX. Since you are switching operating systems and software, do you have a lot of software that is for Windows that you will need to re-buy?

Which exact Acer E15 so you have?

Personally if you have finance a computer then I think that's a bad decision right off the bat.

If you like your current computer and it does what you need then the $50 is the best option for you.

#3 ·
What you describe sounds like a cracked screen. Can you take a picture of it? Acer doesn't want to cover it because it sounds like physical damage to them.

Going from an Acer to a Mac is almost as far apart as you can go; garbage quality to top quality and Windows to OSX. Since you are switching operating systems and software, do you have a lot of software that is for Windows that you will need to re-buy?

Which exact Acer E15 so you have?

Personally if you have finance a computer then I think that's a bad decision right off the bat.

If you like your current computer and it does what you need then the $50 is the best option for you.
It's definitely physically damaged, but I didn't do anything that I think could've caused it. I attached a picture.

I've used Macs a lot and don't think I'd have much trouble making the switch. The only software I'd really need to transfer is Adobe Creative Cloud, which is a subscription and obviously is fine on Macs.

The model of my E 15 is E-575-33BM

And yeah it's not really in the budget so I would have to do credit, but I also think it would be a good investment as a designer.

Thanks for responding
Personal computer Font Communication Device Gadget Computer monitor

#4 ·
Yup, that's a cracked screen.

Here's the specs on that model: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NX.GG5AA.005

Pretty standard laptop, if you are serious into design than you can do much better; an Intel i5 or i7 with at least 8GB of RAM, and a dedicated graphics for hardware acceleration, and maybe an SSD would be a massive improvement. BUT if you can't afford to buy it outright now then you shouldn't finance it. Fix this one and then start saving up for a better Windows laptop or a Mac if that's what you need for your future, you definitely don't need to put yourself into debt and overpay if you are not making enough to afford it now. A slower but working laptop isn't going to hinder you if you are just starting out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.