Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

email association error

Solved 
4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
I have just updated from Vista to Windows 7 Home Premium.

Although everything seems OK on start up I am getting a message stating:

There is no email associated to perform the requested action. Please install an email program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to find out which program is creating the message and/or how I can fix it.
It isn't affecting my use of Windows 7 but is just annoying having to close the message each time I start Windows.

I have asked this question on another forum I have used over the years but not had any positive response so was hoping someone here might be able to help.

I use Gmail, and I have had a quick look at the Default Programs option but can't see a way to assign Gmail.

Thanks for help in advance.

I am including the SysInfo text file as requested.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2370 @ 1.73GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 2038 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, 384 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 92 GB (38 GB Free); D: 92 GB (5 GB Free);
Motherboard: TOSHIBA, EQUIUM P300
Antivirus: 360 Total Security, Enabled and Updated

See less See more
#2 ·
Open the control panel and look for the DEFAULT PROGRAMS icon. Its trying to associate any email links to a default program so if you were to click on an email link on a website for example it would open windows mail or outlook, etc.

#4 ·
Thanks Terry. The only item in Startup was Shrink pic but I removed this and changed it's defaults. I have read several articles about assigning Gmail as default email but most must be using older versions as the icons quoted don't show on mine.

In Chrome I have the Mailto extension set to Gmail and in Internet Explore Gmail is listed as my default email.

Below is a list of all the startup items Windows is showing on my system.

Synaptics Pro
Toshiba Flash Cards
Appandora device service (have disabled this as I uninstalled it)
Apple Push
Chicory traybar
Canon Quick Nenu
Destop SMS
HDMI Control Manager
Toshiba Button Support
360 Total Security
TOSHIBA Zooming Utility
Toshiba Vista Registration Component
TOSHIBA Power Saver
Intel(R) Common User Interface
Background Switcher

I am assuming the error is being triggered by something starting with Windows as it comes up as soon as the desktop is displayed. Very annoying, never had before Windows 7 installed.

#5 ·
I have Yahoo as my mailto and it works fine on Win 7.

Type
Code:
msconfig
in the Run/Search box and hit enter. Click on the startup tab. What is showing there? One of those items, not necessarily something you put in startup is starting up and causing the error you see.

#6 ·
Thanks the list above shows what in on the startup tab. The question is how to determine which item is the culprit. Don't fancy just disabling each in turn in case I cause more of a problem. Any suggestions which would be safe to disable and test and in what order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.