Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New video card but no improvement.

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
Just recenetly upgraded my graphics from nvidia 750ti to a 1080 and so far I've only been having problems with it, my fps has been incredibly low on most games like overwatch rust borderlands. I've been around on a few message boards nothing so far that has been suggested has helped only thing I know is I've been told my power supply needs to be changed. attached is a picture of a problem I encountered within just a few seconds of playing overwatch

Specs: Intel Core i7 6700
ASUSTeK Computer INC Z170 PRO Gaming
16GB DDR
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1080
APEVIA ATX-BT700W 700W ATX12V SLI CrossFire Power Supply

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the input, I was given a recommendation for a new psu as they said my computer is at risk and the supply cannot power the 1080, I just wiped my drivers using a popular driver uninstaller and reinstalled the drivers it seems it worked for now rust running 90-60fps overwatch steady 60. But I do think I will be in the market very soon for a new one. Thanks again.

#5 ·
Just recenetly upgraded my graphics from nvidia 750ti to a 1080
Rectangle Font Handwriting Circle Number
Rectangle Handwriting Font Circle Number

Switching from the GeForce GTX 750 Ti to the GeForce GTX 1080 is a nice improvement in graphic quality, but it's also a noticeable increase in power needs - 180W versus 60W.
The 750 Ti requires a minimum of a 300W power supply and the 1080 requires a minimum of a 500W power supply.
Besides a power supply having sufficient wattage and 12-volt rail output for gaming, it needs to be a quality one.

---------------------------------------------------------------

#6 ·
Thanks for the all the feedback, I had a post like this on Tom's as well and someone told me that my power supply needs to be changed, and now I'm also experiencing severe lag if my computer tries to download an update for say overwatch. It will run very slowly, the mouse and everything will just be almost totally un-responsive. I do have a corsair RM750x that I plan getting installed hoping that will solve my issues, as I've been told by several sources my power supply can't power it.

#9 ·
I just wiped my drivers using a popular driver uninstaller
This is asking for a problem. Using a third party "uninstaller" is very often problematic. When you uninstall drivers, it is best done from control panel>programs> uninstall. After you reboot and install the new driver, do a custom install and select the box that says do a clean install.
This is a much better method than using an uninstaller.

Minimum spec for a pw supply is 500W. I never recommend going with min spec; I would like to see something like 600~650W AND a quality unit. Good ie recommended brands; corsair [AX, HX or RM models ONLY] Seasonic, FSP [only units with the 5yr warranty] or antec [only the HCG models]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.