Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Overclocking<<<HELP!!

2K views 26 replies 5 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
With my i7 7700k with asus Z270E and nh-u14s cooler, i am currently stable at 4.8ghz with max temps of around 68-74, and i was trying to push to 5ghz, it seemed to be that at most peoples videos, they set the volts to around 1.26 ish and that didnt work for me, so i cramped it up slowls along till i got to 1.385v and i am a bit concerned because temperatures were fine, around 85 under full load but after about the 2 minute mark, from all 8 cores/threads it some of the cpus started to go down to like 20% while others stayed at the 100%, this actually happened when i was in my steps of cramping the voltage up stage by stage and is the reason i pushed it to 1.385 but it seems to be becoming further apart each time i increase the volts, should i increase it more? will it blow up the cpu? what will happen when i increase it any more? is it bad and will cramping it up more make it stable and what voltages are safe, sorry for the long question but i dont want to blow a $3500 setup... one last thing is that if the cpu blows its self, willl my other components get wrecked and is this only due to my power supply not producing enough watts? i have a 750w platinum psu. THANK YOu so much!1

#3 ·
Okay so i set the volts to 1.395 and it worked for about 5 mins, all on 100% and it got to a max of 91 degrees, then after that about 4 of the cpus started to go down to like 35% and im not sure this helps but the wattage that HW monitor said that the cpu was drawing was at a max of 114watts, what do i do from here? is this a cooling problem? am i pushing it too far?
Any suggestions would be appreciated

#4 ·
The Intel Core i7-7700K is a 7th generation quad core processor which runs at a base speed of 4.20 GHz and a turbo speed of 4.50 GHz.
It's a very impressive performer "as is", so I don't know why you're risking frying it by overclocking it.

Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Magenta

---------------------------------------------------------------

#5 · (Edited)
Yes, it is a cooling problem because the cpu is throttling itself attempting to stay within temp limits.
what voltages are safe, sorry for the long question but i dont want to blow a $3500 setup
There is NO safe overclock. All overclocking entails some degree of risk. I have a rule. "Do not overclock with parts you cannot afford to replace"
If you are not comfortable with the above statements, do not overclock.
I overclock all of my systems with the exception of my home theater system however if I fry one, there is no one to blame except me.

If you want to continue trying for 5gig, I would really look into a heavy duty water cooling setup. It is going to cost you at least $140 or more so you really need to decide if getting to 5gig is cost effective.
Something like this corsair system would probably do the job for you;
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181100

#7 ·
Are you sure that's in Fahrenheit?

Room temps are often between 70 and 80 degrees...F
And CPUs generally run hotter than room temps.
If that's Celsius, it's 158 F
And that's a major over heat.

#21 ·
Yes, it does explain why however I will tell you again. Individual cores can [and very often do] run at different temps. That is most likely why you see some cores throttle down.

Remember you are never guaranteed that your processor will overclock. You are only guaranteed that it will run at stock speed. Some cpus [of the same family] overclock better than others. Just as an example, years ago I had two fx8350s [same motherboard, same pw supply, and same ram] One would overclock very well and the other would only achieve a slight OC.

#23 · (Edited)
If you are using HWMonitor, it is next to useless. It was a decent program in it's day however that day has long past. Asus has purpose designed monitoring software for almost all of their motherboards. That will give you much better data than hwm. HWM does not do well with modern hardware. It does ok on old hardware however not so much on modern stuff.

Are you using the Asus monitoring program or something else?

#27 ·
Whatever the asus software says is the correct temp. You may just have to accept that you are not going to get a higher speed that what you have already attained. You can keep upping voltage and try again however that carries a VERY real chance of frying the processor, motherboard VRs, etc. Up to you. Remember you are never guaranteed that your cpu will overclock; only that it will run at stock speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.