Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Access denied in folder

Solved 
1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 ·
I'm trying to open a folder with the message " access denied " Path. right click folder> click properties.>
click security> click advance tab> click owner tab>click edit >chose name> click apply>click OK.
A message pops up: If you have taken ownership of this object. You will need to close and re-open
this objects properties before you can change permissions.. ( I"M LOST HERE )

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G2020 @ 2.90GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3983 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1799 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 74 GB (9 GB Free); D: 0 GB (0 GB Free); F: 465 GB (59 GB Free);
Motherboard: ECS, H61H2-WM
Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

#2 ·
As here
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...errors-when-you-access-or-work-with-files-and

but be aware that certain system folders are still not accessible even with those permissions

So having taken ownership you then need to grant yourself the permissions you need
You may not have the appropriate permissions
Issues that you experience when you try to access files and folders may be related to permissions. Permissions are rules that determine whether you can access or change files and folders. To determine the permissions of the file or folder, follow these steps:
  1. Right-click the file or folder, then click Properties.
  2. Click the Security tab.
  3. Under Group or user names, click your name to see the permissions that you have.
To open a file, you have to have the Read permission. To change permissions on a file or folder, follow these steps.

Important You must be logged on as an administrator to change permissions on files and folders.
  1. Right-click the file or folder, and then click Properties.
  2. Click the Security tab.
  3. Under Group or user names, click your name to see the permissions that you have.
  4. Click Edit, click your name, select the check boxes for the permissions that you must have, and then click OK.

#3 ·
i find that just using the "Take Ownership" registry hack works easier without going through all that.It adds a "Take Ownership" to the right click context menu.when you find a folder that says "access denied",just right click it and click "Take Ownership,and your in. Has always worked for me anyway.Im not sure what or how the techies here feel about posting that though or if they would recommend doing that.If they do,they will have to give you the proper download page.Personally,i love it!!

#4 ·
#6 ·
I am unsure as to the purpose of your last post I provided that link to the shortcut
on my post 4

so you did not have to find it
I sent it to you

#8 ·
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.