Tech Support Guy banner

Guyzer's Stuff

199K views 1K replies 32 participants last post by  Guyzer 
#1 ·
Turtles at the local lake....

I've been working on the hummers since about 6:30 AM today and am getting a bit frustrated. For the life of me I can't get my settings right with or without the flash and I think it's due to the feeder being too close to my house. I have it hanging about 2 feet away from light colored vinyl siding and I think the reflections are causing me the grief. To make matters worse there is a lot of glass near as well. I might work on moving it or waiting for a different time of day because I've tried every lens I have and I end up with the same result.

Here's what I mean.

This one is getting close to what I'm trying to achieve....

Thanks for lookin.....

See less See more
#7 ·
Guy, nice one. Using 7D might be worth a try that has spot AF, which 6D lacks.
I have the camera set up on a tripod with the focus preset, the lens on manual and I'm standing back about 30' with a wireless remote. There's no way on earth I , the camera or the lens would be able to be quick enough with these little darts to use AF as far as I'm concerned. The only benefit the 7D would give me is the 1.6 sensor over the 6D's full frame 1x. As it stands now the sun, moon and stars have to line up for me to get a decent shot but I'll keep trying.

#8 ·
I have the camera set up on a tripod with the focus preset, the lens on manual and I'm standing back about 30' with a wireless remote. There's no way on earth I , the camera or the lens would be able to be quick enough with these little darts to use AF as far as I'm concerned. The only benefit the 7D would give me is the 1.6 sensor over the 6D's full frame 1x. As it stands now the sun, moon and stars have to line up for me to get a decent shot but I'll keep trying.
I still think 7D would capture them better then the 6D and a guy at Fred Miranda used 7D with spot focus to better nail a darting dragonfly. Good luck.

#10 ·
Took Mrs. Guyzerr on a coffee drive yesterday evening and we ended up about 50 miles away at a place called Harrison Lake so the theme for the most part was " water ".

It's a large lake surrounded by mountains. 250 sq. miles and 37 miles long so this is just a small part of it.

With lots of flora and fauna of all sorts.

And waterfalls of all sizes on the cliff side of the road.

And more big rocks than you can shake a stick at.

With pebble stone beaches and water lapping at the rocks.

Bubbles are formed when a wave is on it's way back out.

Or a frosty look is made when they smack :D upon the shore.

Where the day comes to an end. Or so it seems when one fiddles with the camera settings.

Thanks for looking.

#15 ·
I am talking about post #10 that I can still see.
Gotya....

Here's a couple from today's fooling around session.

Bee

Hummingbird feet

LF.... Canon 6D, 100mm macro, SINGLE SPOT FOCUS :D on manual, ISO 200, f2.8, flash. I'll keep working on it and will get the entire bird in flight. It was my second attempt today and I had my gear set up to close to the feeder. I'll try the 24 - 105mm next and see how that goes.

#16 ·
Harry this is the one I posted yesterday that seems to have vanished.

Please forgive me for the large post.

I took a 200 km drive up to Whistler, B.C. today and these are some of the sights along the way. The highway is called " Sea to Sky " and there's good reason for that.

We started out at Horseshoe Bay located north of Vancouver and on the Pacific Ocean

We stopped, got out of the car and walked a short distance to see Brandywine Falls. We had to stop and let this sightseeing train pass along the way.

It was worth the walk and the wait... except for the branches that are in the way.

This would be the bottom of the falls :eek:

If you look at the first shot I posted of the falls on the left side is an area that has been carved away. There's very little showing so here's a full size shot of it. When I looked at it while I was there I couldn't help wonder how many years ago that was actually carved out. It's also a lot bigger than it looks.

Rocks

Same rocks in the background with a gorge at the bottom

It's a long way down to the bottom

More stones

Yup... same stones just a little tighter with the lens

And further away

There's stones everywhere

Some of them are pretty big

And returned with another 200 km for a total of 400km. ( 250 miles ) And that was a good part of my day spent with a fellow from England that I've been chatting with on a different forum for the past 3 years or so.

Thanks for lookin'

#21 ·
A friend of mine was good enough to let me borrow his 8-15mm Fisheye lens for the next week so here's a few that I took today.

I had to pick it up in Surrey so I decided to take the scenic long route home and drove through White Rock which is on the edge of the Pacific Ocean. It wasn't that nice of a day so we really didn't stop for any length of time.

In the end I doubt it would be something I would invest in but I'll enjoy it while it's here.

Anywhoo...

The train tracks run right along the shore on their way to the USA which is just a mile or two down the road. The wharf in the background is 1/4 mile long and is a main tourist attraction for the area.

That hunk of land across the way is the USA

Just in time

It was going by at about 20 mph or so

I wanted to get a blurred effect as it went by which it seems I did but as an added bonus the further down the track one looks the more in focus it becomes.

Just a swamp

This is a very small portion of my back yard

And this is another small portion

#24 ·
Very interesting shots! And great scenery.
Fun for a little while.

Now that is cool looking so I know you having fun playing with it before you have to give it back
It is fun but not the lens for me. It has made me want to get a decent prime wide angle one though and I'm investigating that now.

Here's a few more from today....

This part of my world is known as Sumas Prairie. At one time what you see in the first two shots was a lake and it goes on for miles. It was drained in the early part of the 19th century and now has some of the most fertile land in North America.

This part of my world is called Matsqui Prairie. In 1894 and 1948 there were two great floods from the Fraser River that destroyed anything that was on it. Since that day ***** were built and so far have stopped anything the river threw at them. Over the years farmers have discovered massive old ship anchors buried on their land and which indicates it was a large body of water at some point.

Thanks for lookin'

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.