Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adding an external dual screen to a vga laptop

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  tgbritto 
#1 ·
I have an old laptop, still in very good condition, and I want to attach an hdmi second dual screen so I can use the laptop screen for gui and the second hdmi screen for code.
Is there a converter I can plug into my vga external port that will connect into a hdmi port and work as modern dual screen technology does?

#3 ·
Thank you Fireflycph. I too have found the Amazon VGA to HDMI converter, unfortunately this does not provide for actual dual screen where a single signal can be converted into a second signal and provide Screen 1 and Screen 2 with separate images - in my case, Screen 1 with gui and Screen 2 with code. Unfortunately I'm probably hoping for miracles with this post as I have been informed that it cannot be done, but I live in hope.
djk

#5 ·
While you were right if OP's machine was a desktop with a single video output, but in this case it's a laptop.

Dual screen setup is easily achievable with a laptop. Simply plug in the video cable and change the display setting, it should have an "independent dual screen mode" sort of thing.

#7 ·
Hi Over Tallman, what video cable would you suggest I purchase in order to split the single signal into two different signals in order to be able to get two different images on each Monitor?
This can't be done unfortunately, as you said, there's only a single signal available... unless your computer has DMS-59, dual-link DVI or DisplayPort.

If you wanna drive two EXTERNAL monitors from your laptop, unless it has two video output ports and the GPU supports driving two screens simutanously, you're pretty much SOL.

#8 · (Edited)
The laptop only has a VGA connector, is that correct? Mine has VGA and HDMI. What model is it?
May be able to use a powered VGA splitter box like here https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-2-Way-Splitter-Amplifier-Multiplier/dp/B001UW7YDS

Hmm, I think it just duplicates the screens
I think if you want different screens the video card has to support "extended desktop"
I have a Dell laptop at work in a docking station and two monitors hooked to the docking station, one display-port the other HDMI on "extended desktop" Saw one guy had three monitors,an old 18" square in the middle and 24" on each side.

#9 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.