Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

PC Booting Issues?

615 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
Hi, for the past few months now i have been running into a fair few problems with my PC, specifically to do with booting. I have now just resorted to never letting my PC power off because it is too much of a pain to turn back on and I'm worried one day it never will.

Basically, if i ever turn the PC off completely, upon firing it back up it will 100% without fail get stuck on the BIOS splash screen (i think), and the fans begin to run at a really high speed. The only way I can get around this, is to unplug everything from the PC, remove the RAM and CMOS Battery on the mobo, wait 5 or so minutes, plug back in the RAM and CMOS, power cable and HDMI and turn it back on.

Bob's your uncle, the computer now loads into the BIOS - which has been reset for the 874813245'th time - 'load optimized defaults and boot' and ta-daa the computer has now successfully booted up.

On a side not i thought i might mention that it was only the last time I had to turn my PC off - which prompted me to find this site and make a thread about it - that I could have both the power cable and HDMI cord plugged into the PC after resetting the BIOS through the CMOS battery. Previously I couldn't even have the HDMI plugged in when i turned the PC on or i would get stuck on the BIOS splash again and have to repeat the process, however, after the PC had been turned on for about 30 seconds, I could then plug the HDMI in to find it had loaded past the BIOS and right to the user login.

What exactly is going on here? I'm confused and looking to do some upgrading over the next month but aren't sure what might need replacing/ fixing.

SPECS:
- Windows 10 Pro 64bit OS
- AMD FX 8320 Eight Core Processor ~ 3.5GHz
- 8.00GB DDR3 RAM
- Gigabyte 970A-D3P
- Kingston 250GB SSD
- 1TB HDD
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 650Ti

See less See more
#2 ·
First; before we do ANYTHING (!!!), we need to know if it is revision 1.0 or 2.0.
Here is a link to the rev 1.0 support pages:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-970A-D3P-rev-10#support-dl
You probably need to install a BIOS upgrade; but, as I said (!!!), if you have the rev 2.0 board and you install a BIOS upgrade for the 1.0 board, the PC may not ever boot again. So which board do you have?

#4 ·
On that same page ( https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-970A-D3P-rev-2x#support-dl ), there are 3 drivers, 13 utilities and 4 BIOS revisions. When a PC won't turn back on after you shut it down, the most likely culprit is the BIOS first and the power supply second.
You can check your BIOS by doing WinKey+R and typing msinfo32<enter> in the search box. If your BIOS revision is lower than FD, download, save, and then run the download to install it and see if it doesn't fix the problem.

#5 ·
None of the bios updates listed for ver 2 motherboard lists any type of fix for booting issues or any update to agesa. I would suspect first a pw supply problem, then a board failure. That motherboard is not one of the very high end gigabyte boards; it is a mid-range board using a via sound chip. Those are usually used when the board mfg wants to save money rather than using a realtek sound chip.

The pw supply is simple to check. Plug in a test pw supply. Note all you need to do is connect atx, aux, and video pw [if used] hit the ON button and see if the motherboard will POST. If it does, you have your answer. If it will not POST with a known good ie test pw supply, then I would suspect a board failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.