Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home Network Fine except for a single user ???

Solved 
758 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
I have searched and read articles until I am blue in the face, jumped through hoops and burning rings of fire, and near lost what little mind I have, trying to get this situation sorted.

We have four machines on our home network; two HPs with Windows 7 Home Premium; two DELLs with Windows 7 Pro.

I have finally managed to get our network sharing working as it should --- with a single exception, all four machines and all four "users" can access anything anywhere on any of the other machines.
However, there is one user (who is Administrator) on one of the DELLs that, no matter what I have tried, can only access a single public folder on the other DELL; anything else on the other DELL machine that the user on the DELL in question tries to access immediately gets a notice that they do not have the proper clearance to access and to notify the network administrator, etc., etc.

This user can access anything on the other two machines.

The other DELL can access everything on the DELL that cannot access it.

I can log in under a different user and access everything that the other user cannot.

When I try to simply add this specific user to the permissions list in advanced sharing, it will only let me verify user names "from this location"; it will not allow me to type the name of the other machine, nor change the "location" in any way; when I click "Location", the only choice it lists is the machine that I am on and will not allow me to add another machine.
I can click on the text box and it will give me a blinking cursor, but it will not acknowledge my typing.

What do I do to fix this ?
Thanks for reading.

See less See more
#2 ·
Let Dell1 be the Dell PC without the problem of access. Let Dell2 be the Dell PC that has only limited access to Dell1 remotely. Let User2 be the Dell2 account that tries to do the remote access.

I start with the admission that I am confused and do not have an understanding of what accounts are on which PCs. But if my first paragraph above makes sense, it sounds like the User2 account has not been created on Dell1, and one way of making your problem go away is to create it.

#3 ·
Thanks ever so much for the suggestion.

Honestly, you are less confused by my gibberish than I am after reading it again; it is a miracle that you understood my question at all.
I will most definitely give that a shot as it is probably the only thing I haven't tried.

In hopes of not confusing the issue further, if I want to give permissions to specific user-names, and not just "everyone", then must I create accounts for these user-names on each of the four machines to accomplish this ?

In reality, there are only two users, myself and my wife; and, for all practical purposes, we could be considered as a single user; but, it seems to work better somehow by having different user-names on each machine.

#4 ·
Yes, if you want to give any kind of permission by account name that account must be created on the machine. (I find this aggravating, and don't understand why the necessity, but I'm not a Windows designer or developer. So, I can gripe uselessly.)

You need not actually use the account. While not necessary, it works more smoothly if the account has the same password on all the machines.

#5 ·
Thanks !

I have just created a User2 account on the DELL1 machine and all problems have magically went away !

It works more smoothly for my poor brain as well to keep the passwords the same; considering that these machines sit here in an always-logged-on hardly-ever-turned-off state, whether we are here or gone, there is only myself and my wife, and we can go a year or more without a single visitor, would there be any danger in not having any passwords at all ?

I have been sternly advised that it isn't safe for me to give full-control access to "everyone" and that I should limit things to specific usernames.
Considering that we live way out in the sticks, inside a metal building that seems to be the best wireless firewall one could wish for, and all of our machines are cable-connected, is this "everyone" business as big a risk as I have been told ?

Thanks for reading.

#6 ·
With your situation and environment your only risk is online. No need to worry about Wi-Fi theft or people using a computer behind your back.

I would keep the account passwords unless you have an issue with it. I use a very simple "stupid" password, but it's easy for me to enter and will stop anybody who somehow gets a hold of a computer and doesn't have the time or knowledge to break the password.

#7 ·
I would keep the account passwords unless you have an issue with it. I use a very simple "stupid" password, but it's easy for me to enter and will stop anybody who somehow gets a hold of a computer and doesn't have the time or knowledge to break the password.
Maybe that is what I need to do, simplify the passwords.

When I created them, I used as much care as if I were creating a combination for the vault at the First National.

You have been a big help to me and I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.