Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WIFI only works in safe mode

10K views 110 replies 8 participants last post by  dvk01 
#1 ·
My computer can connect to WIFI networks fine but unless it's in safe mode the signal will be weak and no data will transfer. I've read that it's either because of malware/virus or conflicting anti virus programs. I've done standard malware clean ups, disabled start up apps, and now I only use my PC in safe mode.

#83 ·
It doesn't look like Avira is fully uninstalled. It can be a real PITA to get that off your computer.

Read this and follow it step by step including resetting the IP stack. https://www.avira.com/en/support-for-home-knowledgebase-detail/kbid/902

Sandboxie will install a kernel level driver for its protection mechanism. If it fails you can boot in safe mode and remove Sandboxie. That's it. I haven't had any trouble, and I've installed it on at least 6 computers so far. I would encourage you to read their forum and ask questions as well. But lets not worry about this yet until the Internet is back to the way it was.

#87 ·
#92 · (Edited)
Okay, I want you to download Everything.exe and search for Vikingvpn. Find anything related to it and delete the folder/s.

Now go to your network adapters in Device Manager and delete the Tap adapter. Right click it and select uninstall.

Now run all those network reset commands again and restart the computer.

Did you reinstall the network card driver? It's TPLink, isn't it? Make sure it's updated from their site.

https://www.voidtools.com/downloads/

#96 ·
You don't have to run SFC /scan now all the time. That just fixes any missing files on the OS.

Have you uninstalled and reinstalled the network driver and ran those TCP/IP reset commands? Is the Tap network driver uninstalled?

Not sure if this is the same in Windows 10. Go into Services under the control panel and disable the Razer game scanner.

#98 ·
And you did this part?

Not sure if this is the same in Windows 10. Go into Services under the control panel and disable the Razer game scanner.
Can I see your ARN file again? The Tap driver still shows up.

Do you have the product key for Windows 10? You might want to do a reinstall because I'm at a loss here. I strongly feel like Avira messed your network up somehow. Did this start happening after you installed Avira?

#106 · (Edited)
Is there anyway to reinstall windows with an OEM version?
I think so. If you have the product key you should be able to use that to reinstall. Do you have the Win 10 disk? If not it can be downloaded from M$ I believe. You would have to burn it to DVD or use Rufus and place it on a large enough, and formatted to NTFS USB stick.

Once you reinstall I wouldn't put Avira back on there and just use Defender. I would also be weary about installing the Razer service crap as I have read it uses a lot of IO. It's some gaming thing that gets installed. When you install your mouse or keyboard chose custom install and just install the driver if that's possible.

Before you reinstall the VPN, create a system restore point.

I would also turn off the ability for Windows to update your drivers. You should only use the manufacturer drivers as they are the ones that test their hardware. http://www.itprotoday.com/windows-server/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

#102 ·
I can't plug it in directly. It only works for a few minutes and then gets slower and eventually stops working altogether. It stops working almost immediately in normal mode and takes anywhere from 10 minutes to a couple of hours to stop working when in safe mode.

I also purchased a new network card but it has the exact same problems although the signal is at full strength in normal and safe mode.

#107 ·
Okay I'm gonna just reinstall windows. Are you sure that I can reinstall because I had an OEM version of win7 that I tried to reinstall and it didn't work because the key can only be used once. I was told this when I spoke to a customer serivice rep. from Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.