Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
2K views 22 replies 2 participants last post by  Stylisin 
#1 ·
I have no idea what’s happening with my computer at this point.

My setup:
GTX 1080 ti Aorus Waterforce
i7 7700k
B8 Gaming MoBo
16GB Trident Z RAM
1200w PSU

Ever since upgrading from a GTX 970, I’ve been losing frames, progressively over the last 3 months to the point I’ve been on 10FPS on low graphics on a game like CSGO and LoL.

I’ve tried installing monitoring programs to see what’s going on but it has gotten worse from there. I upgraded my PSU today and it has gotten even worse again. After about an hour of light gaming my computer now makes a noise similar to that of a boiling kettle.

At this point my computer is screaming, my GPU temperature is at 85 Celsius simply at the desktop and any game I play maxes out at 15FPS.

I’m at my wits end at this point and I’m ready to go back to the 970 and get a refund on my 1080

See less See more
#2 ·
When all of this is going on, look in Task Manager, the Processes tab, and look at your CPU, Memory, Disk, and Network %. I am willing to bet one or more of these are very high. If they are, click on the tab (ex: If CPU or Disk is 80% or more, click on it), and it will bring up the process/service that is causing such high usage. Let us know.

#6 ·
Google Chrome is a resource hog (if you use it), so that tends to spike the Memory % (mine regularly goes to 45-46% Memory just having it open). When you start to experience the problems that you laid out in your original post, go to Task Manager to see what's causing the damage. When the % rates start floating into the 70-80% range, that's when you should take notice. You can right click on the name of the service/process that is causing the spikes and stop them (End Task), but just make sure you know what it does before you do.

Have you run AV or anti-malware? An infection will also use resources.

#10 ·
Something else is going on here. Neither of those should be using that much. You are hearing the tea kettle noise from your PSU, which is 1200W. That is more than enough power for what you're running. It's sounding like a hardware issue. When did you get your motherboard?

#12 ·
Do this. If you don't have one, there is a free and safe app (I use) called Speed Fan. Download it, and let it run. It will go through all of your hardware and the fans. When this issue occurs, look at it and it will tell you what the temps for all your hardware components are. It will also be able to tell you how fast your fans are spinning (RPM). If your PSU is making the kettle noise, pay attention to those readings. Something like 3500 rpm is way too high. Make sure your computer has plenty of ventilation (not in a close cabinet, all vents and fans are clean of dust and have room to "breathe", not against a wall, etc). Let us know what it says when you are able.

#14 ·
Holy moly! That is a big problem, and will fry your PC if not fixed. Your CPU is overheating in a big way, and that is your PC's "brain". Something may be wrong with the heat sink, or the thermal paste that connects your heat sink and your processor, and I would take a can of compressed air to blow out everything inside your PC (all fans, circuit boards, basically any and everywhere there could be a build up of dust), and make absolute sure your PC is in a well vented area (and off carpet if possible).

I saw that your graphics card has a water cooler built in. Is this only on your GPU, or does it cool all of your PC?

#15 ·
It’s only for the GPU. I have it placed under the graphics card and pointing upward through the GPU and toward the CPU to try and optimise the cooking. I have a CPU fan but it doesn’t even clip into the motherboard so it is kind of sitting off the CPU by about 25mm. The GPU and its fan is sitting about 25mm apart as well.

The PC sits on a platform under a desk. There’s no walls or anything on the desk so its not enclosed, I’ve admttedly kept the walls of the tower off to ventilate the air, no carpet either as it’s floorboards. I blew out the PC yesterday and it looks brand new.

Seeing as I live in Australia and it’s summer right now (40 Celsius outside daily) would I need to look into water cooling or just get an additional fan?

#18 ·
Alright. It might be a problem with the thermal paste attaching the heat sink and the CPU. You can either try to reapply thermal paste and see if that helps, or you could go ahead and get a water cooler to cool down your entire PC. Since you have some good hardware recently bought I would look at a good water cooler, but that is up to you. Either way, your PC, and your CPU in particular, need to be cooled down sooner rather than later, or your new computer may be a dead computer. New good CPUs are not cheap to replace.

#22 ·
Are you certain that the PSU is making the sound? By what you've described, specifically that it sounds like a tea kettle, that your earlier readings had your GPU at 62 degrees C (that's 143.6 degrees F), and that your new GPU is water cooled, it could very well be your overheating GPU. In Fahrenheit (I'm American), you can cook an egg at 130 degrees, and your GPU is reaching 143.6. I would seriously try not to use your computer until you can get a cooling system for your entire PC. Once that is installed and properly working, then see if the "tea kettle" sound returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.