Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can I transfer all data from Windows 10 to Windows 7 ?

719 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  DaveA 
#1 ·
A simple innocent question,

I am back to this DELL computer that I seldom used because all my stuff, everyday stuff, is located in an old Samsung R530 I have used since 2011 until today when now is almost out of service. I would like to know if I can transfer all the data, files, pictures, videos, documents, etc. operating under Windows 10 in my old computer, into this Dell described at the bottom and operating under Windows 7. Because what seems to be normal is the other way around, from W7 to W10. If it is possible, how can I do it ?

Thank you so much,

Oniro

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8099 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000, -1988 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 596 GB (547 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 034W60
Antivirus: Spybot - Search and Destroy, Enabled and Updated

See less See more
#2 ·
You can transfer data to any computer. I use 2 computers a W8.1 desktop & a W10 laptop. I tend to keep copies of everything on both computers & copy between them all the time.
that is things like pictures, videos, documents etc
You cannot transfer installed programs

I use 2 computers a W8.1 desktop & a W10 laptop. I tend to keep copies of everything on both computers & copy between them all the time.

#3 ·
I have 4 full-time computers - 3 Windows 7 and 1 Windows 10.
Like Derek, I keep a copy of all my documents, photos, music, videos, etc. in each of them.

Unless you have a huge amount of data or have it scattered in several difference places in your Windows 10 computer, it's not a difficult job to copy it to a USB thumb drive or burn it to DVD-R's.
You then use that external media to copy your data to the appropriate locations in your Windows 7 computer.

----------------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
Thank you very much both for your insights.

With your answers I will start to check what is the most efficient way to transfer the data. Still I dare to make a last question:

Is it better to transfer to an stick, to a separate hard disk, or to my new DELL directly ?

#6 ·
I also vote for USB flash drives.
I have some friends that store everything on 2 "backup" Flash drives.
Depends on how much data you have.
A wise person once told me .... "Any data you only have one copy of, is data you wont mind loosing"

However, Reasonably priced flash drives are slow.

Many times I may be moving large video files ... between computers
And use my USB 3 external hard drive enclosure loaded with a SSD.
The Read/Write speed advantage is very noticeable

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.