Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart......

4K views 75 replies 3 participants last post by  dmccoy 
#1 ·
I was working at my computer and suddenly a blue screen popped up (see screenshots). (UGH!).
This comps about 9 months old, maybe. I know they can fail out of the box. I'm on my little tablet to post this.
It's been on this screen that says it needs to gather data then will restart, saying 100% complete, for over 30 minutes now, and it hasn't restarted.
What should I do?
On the blue screen at the very bottom, it reads:
What failed: igdkmd64.sys
Windows did that long April update the other day, and I suspect this is related to that.
Unfortunately when I got the computer, I wasn't able to create a back up because shortly after that my external hard drive crashed. I've just gotten another one, but this happened before I could contact you all, to learn how to do back up (since it says back up for windows 7 though this refurbished came with windows 10 OS), so I don't have a back up. :(

What do I do. Clearly she's not going to restart like the screen says. Seems I have no choice but to say a prayer and hit the power button....but wanted to check here first.
Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I loaded the link and read the page. It lists 5 options to try.
However...since it's on the blue screen, I cannot do any of those things.
Am I to hit the power button on the my desktop tower to shut her down then try to restart her? I can't see how I'd to any of those options otherwise.
Thanks.

#5 ·
Try the following:

Force Safe Mode with Power On/Off

1) Press the Power On/Off button to Start and Shut Down the computer 2-3 times to stat the Windows Recovery Environment.
2) Select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart from the Choose an Option screen.
3) After your PC restarts, select one of the following Safe Mode options you are instructed to from the Start Up Settings menu:
  • Safe Mode (4)
  • Safe Mode with Networking (5)
  • Command Prompt (6)
4) Wait for Safe Mode to load.
5) Logon with an Administrator account.

#7 ·
Try the following:

Force Safe Mode with Power On/Off
Not sure I understand how to do this safe mode?
I'm on that blue screen now. Haven't touce up hed it since it came up.
I am to hit the power button, which will turn her off, correct?
Then hit power button to start her up, but then, once she is on again, shut her down, and repeat a third time?
This will "stat the Windows Recovery Environment.". did you mean start vs stat? Then do step two? At step how will I know what option to select to 'restart from'?
I'm flying blind here so want to be sure.
Once she starts in safe mode and i log on (hope i know admin info), then what?
by going into windows recovery, will i be resetting my computer back to when i first turned her on, losing my files etc? Just want to know what to expect here. I just know this is likely related to the big windows update (apparently it's an April update but just got the message on my computer the other day, to do it).
Thank you for your help and patience.

#9 ·
#10 ·
Oh, I know you won't direct me to do anything that would 'harm' the computer, but I'm always afraid I'll do something incorrectly so I like to know step by step things, to decrease the chances of that happening!

When you can't just go out and buy another...it's much more nerve wracking when things act up! Very grateful I have this little nextbook so can post on here.

Ironically, it was I think just after that windows update, Monday or Tuesday, I loaded a game I play (runescape) and I got the message that my graphics driver needed to be updated, and today was the day I planned to post on here to see how to figure out what driver I had and how to update it! Had some time today for that, but now I've spend it regarding this instead. I will now try to do the safe mode routine but am unsure what to do once I get to the restart (choose option stage). Wish me luck.

#12 ·
Okay, I hit the power button and shut her down, then hit power button to turn her back on 3 times in a row. No blue screen (recovery) came up. All three times it loaded the page for me to log onto my acct., that would then take me to my desk top. So, now what should I do?She is at the log on window now.

I did record all 3 times with my camera, but didn't see it really display any info during the boot ups other than the usual brief black/white dos window.

If the video would maybe be helpful, i can try to upload it.

#13 ·
Okay great. I didn't realize you never tried restarting after the bluescreen error. See if you can login to Windows and let me know what happens.

If you can login, then please do the following so I can analyze your error

Save the enclosed diag.txt file to your desktop
Rename the file to diag.bat
Double click on the file to Run
Once it is finished it will create a SystemDiagnostics folder on your desktop
Compress the folder to a .zip file
Upload to your reply

How to Compress/Uncompress .Zip files

The SystemDiagnostic Folder should contain the following files after running.

1. Antivirus.txt
2. ApplicationEventlog.txt
3. Dxdiag.txt
4. Msinfo32.nvo
5. Software.txt
6. SystemEventlog.txt
7. SystemInfo.txt
8. Any Minidumps files that Exist (*.dmp)

Attachments

#15 ·
Sounds good. Ask if any questions or issues.

#17 ·
Make sure it is renamed to exactly diag.bat and not diag.bat.txt. Once it is renamed correctly the icon will look like two gears

#20 ·
No that won’t mater. The main thing it’s to make sure the extension is only .bat so it will run.

#22 ·
The easiest way to rename it is to Right click on the file and select rename from the menu.

IF that does not work then Open in Notepad

1. Select File > Save As
  2. Browse to your Desktop folder
  3. Type diag.bat in the File name box
  4. Select All Files (*) under Save as type box
(Verify that .txt is not appended to the end of the file name)

#24 ·
Your icon should look like the enclosed

Attachments

#25 ·
If you Enable Show File Extensions in File Exporer it will make it easier to see when renaming.

Open File Explorer
Go to View Menu
Check or Select the Show File Extensions option

#26 · (Edited)
I hope I don't get you frustrated like I am at the moment. I deleted it from desktop and download folder. Then I came back to your post, redownloaded it. Then I opened it in notepad. File>save as>diag.dat and saved it to desktop. Now it's asking me how do I wish to open .dat file and it's a blank white sheet of paper icon, most definitely NOT the icon you are showing! To see what I mean, see image below. When I open my download folder in Mozilla, it shows there. When I got to file explorer and click on my download folder, it does not show there at all. Can I just right click the file that shows as on my desktop (in file explorer) and rename it that way, since doing it on the desktop by right clicking it, and save as within notepad didn't work either? Right now it shows with the download as Diag.txt. Deleted the rest from before with failed rename attempts.

Attachments

#27 ·
Rename it to diag.bat not .dat

#28 ·
Here is a .zip file with the correctly named file. You can uncompress the zip file and run the correct diag.bat file by double clicking on it.

Attachments

#29 ·
In the snip-it images I posted, you can see it was renamed diag.dat, not .dat but still didn't run.
Now I downloaded, unzipped the diag file you sent. when I clicked on it to run it....I got this pop window. I said don't run, for now, so I could show you what it's saying. I've no doubt it's a safe file that won't harm my computer. Is there a way to override the protection?

Attachments

#30 ·
Click on th more info and choose to go ahead and run. It is a safe file

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.