Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDMI port Repair?

Solved 
873 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  RT 
#1 · (Edited)
Howdy folks!

My Samsung TV has but two HDMI ports and one has ceased to function.
Looking on the web, it seems it is possible to repair, but requires cracking open the TV, soldering skills ( good eye sight) and generally more trouble than I would like to get involved in.
If anyone's tried it, be glad to hear how it worked out for you.

So I was wondering if an HDMI hub type device would benefit me...
Right now just 3 things that require HDMI = the cable box, Blue Ray/DVD player and a Roku Express.
Somehow I think the TV may not recognize a hub as switchable source in it's menu, but still it could well be better than unplugging and re-plugging every time I wish to change the input device.
An a/b switch would be better than that.

Just asking for comments, and recommends... but not the obvious "get a new TV" :)

#2 ·
Ironic you should have this issue... I just lived through this last week.

Yes... it's a lot of work to redo that connector. And you have to have some pretty good soldering skills (and a solder station). I have the station, but not the skills. :)

RT... I am intrigued why the port just stopped working. That's unusual. Does it look/act physically damaged?

My HDMI broke from kids plugging/unplugging an input for their games. So I only have one too.

I purchased the UGREEN HDMI switch 4k:
https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Wirel...r=8-1-spons&keywords=ugreen+hdmi+switch&psc=1

It shows $21.00 USD but I only paid $17.00. It works really well. With the remote you won't have to get up and change anything.

Now... I also have a programmed Harmony remote for my TV/ receiver. I had to reprogram from HDMI 2 to HDMI 1. But I don't even need the remote for the HDMI switch. It "senses" with HDMI port has a signal and switches to it. I will say this... you have to make sure the other HDMI devices or off. If there are two active HDMI input signals to the switch, it gets confused (I talk like it's human.. LOL) and may not send the right signal to the TV.

Let me know if I can help with anything else on this.

#3 ·
Helpful info Brad, thanks!

No, it doesn't look damaged or burnt, nothing like that, before it quit there was just the cable box and DVD player connected at all times and all I did was switch the source from HDMI 1 to 2 via the remote...didn't even have the Roku then. So there wasn't the physical cable switching that I'm currently doing.
Still had to get up and put a disc in the DVD player, though - prolly need the exercise anyway ;)

The TV does get rather warm and there's been a very few times I've had had to gently jiggle an HDMI cable to get a solid connection, but that's been quite rare.
I've switched cables out once 'r twice for the gold plated style connectors.
Your hub link seems like what I'm looking for and it won't break the bank.

#4 ·
Yes. I was surprised at the low cost. You can probably find something less expensive, but that one is working for me.

Since there is some physical switching, it could have pushed a pin loose or something. Otherwise, I would suggest it could be something with the device being connected to the input.

#5 ·
Nothing is functional using the HDMI 1 port, but everything works with HDMI 2...
the cables attach easily enough to the offending port, just seems like it's not getting a signal. The TV doesn't even recognize it as a valid source to switch to, even the components I know work fine. It's 'grayed out' in the source menu, it appears but can't even select it.
The port appears to be OK physically, else the cable wouldn't go in smoothly.
No bent pins, from what I can see.

But this may all be moot now, as I've ordered the hub you posted...it's actually ~$10 cheaper than what I had previously looked at...and it looks to be a bit more robust too ( I mean not tiny flimsy plastic, but sturdier build quality.)

So as an aside, it's a Prime item so I should get it by Sunday.
(it's kinda puzzling that Amazon charges for Saturday delivery, but not Sunday)

If all works well, I'll mark this thread Solved in a few days...
Thanks Brad :)

#6 ·
If there is no obvious damage & it didn't go wrong when plugging or unplugging something, then sometimes a reset TV to factory settings might cure it.
Lots of modern TVs are so complicated that they need rebooting & restoring occasionally, just like a computer does. If your Samsung is anything like my Sony, it auto-updates during the night & it has on odd occasions gone wrong after the update. A quick restore & an update again cures things.

#7 ·
If your Samsung is anything like my Sony, it auto-updates during the night & it has on odd occasions gone wrong after the update. A quick restore & an update again cures things.
My TV is not a smart one, not directly hooked to internet. But your mention of factory reset seemed like good thing to try...

Can't really explain this, but I as messing with the deeper TV menu to locate a reset or firmware/software update function. So I came across an item about Source that was different from the main menu, or remote selection screen. So I just hooked the Roku to it and low and behold, both ports are now recognized!
It now seems to work as it had before. Guess I didn't delve deep enough into the menu before, but I did find the reset and update functions should I need them! :)

Should be getting the hub today, and I'll keep it...see if I can get all three devices sourced from one remote or the other.

Appreciate all your time, suggestions and advice Brad and Derek...:)
I feel all this will be wrapped up in a day or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.