Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart......

4K views 75 replies 3 participants last post by  dmccoy 
#1 ·
I was working at my computer and suddenly a blue screen popped up (see screenshots). (UGH!).
This comps about 9 months old, maybe. I know they can fail out of the box. I'm on my little tablet to post this.
It's been on this screen that says it needs to gather data then will restart, saying 100% complete, for over 30 minutes now, and it hasn't restarted.
What should I do?
On the blue screen at the very bottom, it reads:
What failed: igdkmd64.sys
Windows did that long April update the other day, and I suspect this is related to that.
Unfortunately when I got the computer, I wasn't able to create a back up because shortly after that my external hard drive crashed. I've just gotten another one, but this happened before I could contact you all, to learn how to do back up (since it says back up for windows 7 though this refurbished came with windows 10 OS), so I don't have a back up. :(

What do I do. Clearly she's not going to restart like the screen says. Seems I have no choice but to say a prayer and hit the power button....but wanted to check here first.
Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#58 ·
Okay it sounds like maybe the update caused the problem. Please perform the steps below to provide me more information.

1. Click on Start menu
2. Type in command
3. Right click on Command Prompt in list and select Run as Administrator
4. Copy and Paste the full command into the command console
5. Once it is finished it will create a SystemDiagnostics folder on your desktop
6. Compress the folder to a .zip file
7. Upload to your reply

@Echo off
If Not Exist "%userprofile%\desktop\SystemDiagnostics" (
MD "%userprofile%\desktop\SystemDiagnostics"
)
dxdiag /t %userprofile%\desktop\SystemDiagnostics\dxdiag.txt&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SystemDiagnostics\systeminfo.txt"&msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SystemDiagnostics\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe system "/q:*[System [(Level=1 or Level=2 or Level=3)]]" /f:text /c:20 /rd:True > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SystemDiagnostics\SystemEventlog.txt"&wevtutil qe application "/q:*[System [(Level=1 or Level=2 or Level=3)]]" /f:text /c:20 /rd:True > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SystemDiagnostics\ApplicationEventlog.txt"&wmic /output:"%userprofile%\desktop\SystemDiagnostics\Software.txt" product get Name, Version&wmic /namespace:\\root\SecurityCenter2 path AntiVirusProduct get * /value > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SystemDiagnostics\Antivirus.txt"&If Exist "%SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp" copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SystemDiagnostics"

#59 ·
Also perform the following:

Right-click on Start icon
Select Windows Powershell (Admin) from the menu
Copy and Paste each of the following commands and press Enter
Copy and paste the contents or upload the restorepoints.txt to your reply

Get-ComputerRestorePoint | out-file c:\restorepoints.txt
notepad c:\restorepoints.txt

#60 ·
How to Boot to Safe Mode
https://www.howtogeek.com/107511/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode-on-windows-8-the-easy-way/[/QUOTE]

Okay, I came back to get this link, and I see it says for windows 8? Is it the same for windows 10?

The two posts you made after this one, about windows update, I can't do any of that stuff, unless I can see the graphics once it's in safe mode. If that's they case I'll try to do what you said, but what's all the gobbly **** (to my non tech mind lol) starting with @Echo off? I don't understand that?

#61 ·
Yes it is the same. Let me know how safe mode works.

#62 ·
Ok, I've read very carefully, how to boot in safe made.
At step 2, it's assuming one can see the screen to : "
Step Two: Use the Advanced Troubleshooting Tools to Start Safe Mode
When you get to the advanced troubleshooting tools (whether that's by using the Shift+Restart trick, mashing the F8 key, or using a recovery drive), you'll arrive at a screen that lets you access the troubleshooting tools. Click the "Troubleshoot" button to proceed."
If I get to this and it's all scrambled and unreadable, so I cannot select what's needed to get the safe mode process started, what's my option? I wouldn't be able to see to even pick turn computer off. Would I just hit power button at this point? I just would like to know ahead of time, because it's very possible. :(

Thanks again for your time and patience. My brain's getting tired now, so I'll tackle this some more on Wednesday.

#63 ·
Let’s start with trying to boot into safe mode and let me know what happens and then I will provide more instructions.

#64 ·
Let's start with trying to boot into safe mode and let me know what happens and then I will provide more instructions.
I'm not trying to be difficult. Yes, I would like to try and get into safe mode, but before I can do that I need to know what to do if, once I do the shift/restart option, knowing I cannot see/decipher anything on my monitor, to know what to click on etc, if when I do that shift/restart option, what can/do I do if that scenario occurs? I won't be able to select anything, not even 'shut off my computer".
So I need to know: If this happens would I just hit the power button to turn her back off or will that cause even more damage? If you view the screen shot, you will see what I am seeing on my desktop. You really cannot decipher that distorted fonts. I could figures some things out like some files names since I know what they are and about where on lists, for things like my docs., but that's it. Once I know what to do if the above scenario occurs, I do that safe mode attempt :). Likely not until this evening though. Have appts/obligations all afternoon. Thanks again.

#65 ·
If you are able to do the shift restart then it should start in Windows Recovery Environment and use the standard video drivers so more then likely you will be able to see the monitor to make the selections.

If for some reason you cannot then you can try force safe mode as follows:

Force Safe Mode with Power On/Off

1. Press the Power On/Off button to Start and Shut Down the computer as soon as you see the rotating loading circle
2.Repeat this 2-3 times to stat the Windows Recovery Environment.
3. Select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart from the Choose an Option screen.
4. After your PC restarts, select one of the following Safe Mode options you are instructed to from the Start Up Settings menu:
  • Safe Mode (4)
  • Safe Mode with Networking (5)
  • Command Prompt (6)
5. Wait for Safe Mode to load.
6. Logon with an Administrator account if needed.

#66 ·
Well this is what I tried so far.
I powered her up to the log on screen.
Pressed and held the shift key, and selected restart.
She did her thing. Only instead of bringing up that menu for safe mode, she restarted back to log in.
Tried same thing again, thinking perhaps I hadn't pressed the shift key enough.
Restarted to login screen again.
So I entered my password, and let her log on.
Then, I held down shift key and selected restart from the Start menu.
Alas...she restarted, right back to the log in screen again!

Should I now try the force safe mode with the power on/off? If that's the case, I see a couple of other things, then I see the blue 4 pain windows icon, then I see that spinning circle. Is that when I hit power to turn her off. I am assuming, I do this 2 times then on third time, don't hit power when I see that spinning circle? It's 10:45. I'm getting pretty tired, so I'll likely not attempt anything more tonight.
Thanks again for your time and patience with my questions/issue. :)

#67 ·
Make sure to continue holding down the Shift button while clicking on Restart until the troubleshooting menu is shown. Let me know if this works for you.

#69 ·
Yes, that is what we are looking for. Now follow the steps below and let me know what happens in safe mode.

Select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart from the Choose an Option screen.
4. After your PC restarts, select one of the following Safe Mode options you are instructed to from the Start Up Settings menu:
  • Safe Mode (4)
  • Safe Mode with Networking (5)
  • Command Prompt (6)
5. Wait for Safe Mode to load.
6. Logon with an Administrator account if needed.

#70 ·
Oh My. A friend came over, and as I described and showed them what the computer was doing...they said they had the same thing happen (in reference to display issue we've been dealing with this week). She said it turned out to be her monitor! So despite the 'blue screen of death' issue we tried to figure out a month ago, we decided to hook up another monitor to my computer. BAM! Everything displays normally. Tried just the cable, and definitely, it's the monitor. So we still have no clue what caused the initial blue screen graphics driver issue, but we seems this isn't isn't related.

I have to say thanks so very much again for all your time/help/patience! How can we mark thread solved when we never found the original cause? I'll hold off marking it just yet though....let it go a couple of weeks and see how the computer does.

#71 ·
That was going to be my next suggestion if safe mode did not work. I am glad that you figured it out. You can leave this open for a while longer if you like and if you do not have any more issues mark Solved. Then if future issues start a new thread. Good luck!

#73 ·
Just wanted to let you know. The blue screen came up again, but it didn't stay up long enough to see what the error message was. It then did the auto restart after it gathered info wanted, then said 'diagnosing...', then said repairing...this may take up to an hour, then it went through that cycle again of diagnosing, repair, restart, got to log on screen. I logged on, and she only starts in safe mode, and can't use most of programs or get online. No options for safe mode with networking or anything. So she's now sitting, doing nothing. I've got a replacement computer. I'm hoping square trade will have a look at her to determine hardware vs software/OS issues. If they say it's not hardware, I'm on my own to figure out and fix. Should I start a new thread in that case?

#74 ·
I am sorry to hear that. Use your other computer to download the following Sysnative app and then run on the problem computer and upload the file. Let me know if any questions.

Download the Sysnative BSOD Dump + System File Collection App to save to Desktop
https://www.sysnative.com/blogs/download/sysnativebsodcollectionapp-exe

Run the app by Double-click on the downloaded EXE file
This will create the following on your Desktop - SysnativeFileCollectionApp folder + SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip.
The app averages ~3 minutes to run on most systems and as long as 10-15 minutes on others.
Windows Explorer should open and highlight the zipped folder
Upload the SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip to your reply.

#75 ·
As Soon as I've borrowed another Monitor, I'll get it set up, and do this. I hope to have one in a week if not sooner. Then I'll do this and post details. Assuming I can do this in safe mode on that computer and it will read from a usb flash drive to let me copy/paste this onto it?

#76 ·
Sounds good. Keep me updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.