Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Another Dual Boot Windows 10 and 7 Query

Solved 
542 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  RT 
#1 ·
Howdy folks!

I have a Dell 8930 with Windows 10 Home, but I also have the 1 TB HDD from my retired Windows 7 Home (Premium, I think) machine (both OS's are 64 bit.)
My questions are if I install the Win 7 HDD in the extra bay in the Win 10 system, will I magically have a dual boot system? Would drivers be an issue to try and boot from Win 7, because of different hardware?

Just change the boot order ... or will I have the choice on restart?
I'd be surprised if it were that simple, and the obvious answer is "Why haven't I tried that already, see what happens."
Guess I wanna to know what to expect when I do install the older drive.

#2 ·
If I understand you correctly:
You have a Dell XPS 8930 that's running Windows 10 Home?
You have a 1 TB hard drive containing Windows 7 Home Premium which came from another computer that you want to install and use in your Dell?

You will not automatically have a dual boot system.
You will need to reinstall Windows 7 Home Premium in the 1 TB hard drive after you install it in your Dell.

---------------------------------------------------------------

#3 ·
Thanks Frank... yessir you did understand correctly.
I really didn't expect it to be magically simple ;)
Have read some articles on dual booting with 7 and 10 on one HDD, when correctly partitioned.

It's not imperative that I have a dual boot, though I have the Win7 disc and could do that what you've mentioned.
But wouldn't reinstalling 7 wipe that particular drive and wind up with just a fresh OS with no files other than Windows?

Really just want to be able to access some of the files that's on the older Win7 drive. Files with common extensions such as some pics, PDFs, .txt, .doc, etc. and find some Firefox bookmarks to transfer to the Windows 10 machine.
I believe I should be able to do that, once the drive is installed, and should show up in File Explorer or This PC, My Computer, etc. like any other drive, external or internal.

I have previously made backups to a couple of external drives, via Windows backup and Macrium Reflect...but some of those do not wish to cooperate with me right now :rolleyes:

#4 ·
If all you want to do is access files, no need for a dual boot. Just toss in the W7 drive and assign it as slave; it wont boot from it and it appears as a storable drive. You can copy to/from it.

#5 ·
Yeah Tim, thank you, that's the real crux of it, file access.
Didn't really expect an issue with that in itself. Just thought it'd be nice to boot into 7 and maybe get to a few older games that Win 10 doesn't seem to like :)

Appreciate your thoughts and advice guys, as always (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.