Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clock_Watchdog_timeout error on new Ryzen 1800X build

6K views 78 replies 5 participants last post by  milomorai 
#1 ·
I have been fighting this for the last 6 months. I put together a Ryzen 1800X, 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4 Pc 3200 Model F4-3200C 14D32GTZ, MSI X370 Gaming Carbon Pro MB, Seasonic 660XP 80 Plus Platinum PSU, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe for my OS drive and a 2 TB SSD for storage with a MSI Radeon RX 550 Aero ITX OC 4GB graphics card. I have RMA'd all of the components except for the graphics card and even got a 500 GB SSD to try for my Os drive to no avail. I can't keep the system up for more than 30-45 minutes before it freezes. The PSU was swapped for another Platinum series that was a 90 Plus 650W one in a better line. I would put in the minidump file but the only way I can read it still shows it in machine language.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Eight-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 23 Model 1 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 16
RAM: 32715 Mb
Graphics Card: Radeon RX 550 Series, -1 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (427 GB Free); D: 1863 GB (1623 GB Free);
Motherboard: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd., X370 GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7A32)
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Attach the dump using upload a file button on the reply
You cannot read dump files unless you have the means to do so
Go to the dump file
right click and hold mouse on send to
choose compressed file on desktop
send zipped file please

Are you running that ram at 3200 or its SPD speed of 2133
https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-32gtz

#4 ·
The reason I ask is that AMD state that your processor has a max system ram speed of
There are however reports on the web that it does not and can take far higher ram speeds
IF IT CAN then AMD should get their site up to date
https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-1800x

AMD Ryzen™ 7 1800X
System Memory
Max System Memory Speed
2667MHz
System Memory Type
DDR4
Memory Channels

I will look at the dump. In the meantime I recommend you ask AMD to clarify this apparent anomaly between their site and the web reports, that it can take higher speeds and AMD have the reports say confirmed this. You may also usefully I think ask AMD for their opinion on your crashes. They show large memory corruption - however that does NOT mean it is necessarily ram.

#5 ·
1.There is something wrong
The dump shows that two sticks of your ram are not recognised

Unknown
DIMM 0
P0 CHANNEL A
Unknown

Unknown
DIMM 1
P0 CHANNEL A
Unknown

F4-3200C14-16GTZ
DIMM 0
P0 CHANNEL B
Unknown

Unknown
DIMM 1
P0 CHANNEL B
Unknown

F4-3200C14-16GTZ

That MAY not be a very important detail but in all the dumps I have looked at I have never seen this before with that ram and this quality of build

2. The dump is
CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101)
An expected clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor in an
MP system within the allocated interval. This indicates that the specified
processor is hung and not processing interrupts.
Arguments:
Arg1: 000000000000000c, Clock interrupt time out interval in nominal clock ticks.
Arg2: 0000000000000000, 0.
Arg3: ffffd00075fe5180, The PRCB address of the hung processor.
Arg4: 0000000000000006, 0.

Without getting too technical, both from your point of view and indeed mine, as I am close to the limit of my knowledge here Parameter 4 indicates that it was Processor core 6 that had the problem.
IT DOES NOT MEAN that the CPU is the cause merely that it was core 6 of your 8 cores that was dealing with the data.

3. As a starting point please open task manager on processes tab and send me a screenshot IF
conhost. exe is shown

I need to have the CPU column included so if it is not click the view tab on task manager - select columns and click to check cpu

4. What is on your drive lettered D
as according to the dump
\D:\Program Files (x86)\MSI\Command Center\ClockGen\NTIOLib_X64.sys
\D:\Program Files (x86)\MSI\Command Center\CPU\NTIOLib_X64.sys
\D:\Program Files (x86)\MSI\Command Center\DDR\NTIOLib_X64.sys
\D:\Program Files (x86)\MSI\Command Center\SMBus\NTIOLib_X64.sys

Those are and I would have expected to find those on C

#6 ·
#7 ·
Several of your drivers seem to be outdated as well so check for any updates.
It would be very helpful - I think - if you could list which drivers you refer to

#8 ·
I just looked at all the loaded devices in the dump file and saw several dated 2015 of earlier but did not confirm any further. The best method for help is to do the following and then I can look them up quicker. Also as you might have noticed the dump was missing quite a bit of information so a full dump may be more helpful next time.

List all Drivers
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
1. Download the correct version for your computer (32 or 64 bit)
2. Extract and Run the file
3. Select View Menu and Check
1. Mark Non-Microsoft Drivers
2. Hide Microsoft Drivers
3. Add Header Line To CVS/Tab-Delimited File
4. Select Edit menu and choose Select All or use (Ctrl + A)
5. Select File menu and choose Save Selected Items
6. Save as Drivers or other known name
7. Save As Type Comma-delimited text file (.csv)
8. Compress the Drivers.csv file to a compressed Zip file
9. Upload the file to your next reply

#9 ·
I would normally advise updating the Bios, there were a lot of ram issues with Ryzen Cpus early on that were fixed with Bios updates, but only if you're sure the computer will not turn off while doing so.

#10 · (Edited)
I just checked the support page for that motherboard. There are a LOT of bios updates that address memory issues; some only 7 days after the previous bios. IMO this points at an inherent problem with the motherboard that the mfg is attempting to fix with updates.

If it were me, the very first part I would replace would be the motherboard. IMO msi is a mid-level [at best] mfg. Go with either an Asus ROG board or an Asrock Taichi/Fatal1ty board. I have done ryzen builds with all three of those boards and they are bullet proof.

To clear up some misconceptions regarding ram speed. The native speed for your ram is 2133 or 2933 [if using a second gen ryzen] The motherboard however will set a faster speed. As an example, I run a ryzen 1700X overclocked to 3.9gig. The ram speed is running @3050 [slight blck overclcock along with multi overclock]
Running the ram at it's rated speed is not technically overclocking since you are only adjusting the multi/divider in the motherboard bios to achieve rated speed on the ram. Same thing with intels; the ram runs at 2133, 2400, or 2666 [if running the latest 8th gen cpu] Ram speed is then adjusted using either xmp or manually setting speed/timings/voltage.

IF you want to attempt to update your bios to the latest one, that may fix your issue however I have my doubts. When you see bios updates attempting to fix memory problems released only days apart, that does not give me much confidence in the motherboard mfg.

#11 ·
In order of the posts:
I only have two sticks of ram 16 GB each in slot 2 and 4; I have tried the ram setting at 2133, 2933 and 3200 with the same result and per G-Skill that ram is this [Trident Z] F4-3200C14D-32GTZ DDR4-3200 (PC4-25600)
32GB (16GBx2) CL 14-14-14-34 1.35 Volt. Just got done with trying it at 2667 14-16-16-16-34 and it only stayed up for <7 min. before freezing so that setting was the worst of all. I can get 25-35 min. when set to 2933-3200 before the timeout error. The last time I looked on the website the BIOS updates were all from 2017 and since I RMA'd the mobo mine is as of 3/2018 so it won't take any of the older ones. I am enclosing the driver file so you can look it over.

Attachments

#12 ·
Are you going to respond to my last post please and according to your attachment You have
COMODO
AVG
Malwarebytes
Super Anti Spyware

I recommend most strongly that you uninstall ALL of the above using the programs and features and then test the system with ONLY Windows Defender

Reactions: AmateurJohn
#14 ·
Please provide the following report:

http://filehippo.com/download_speccy

1. File > Publish Snapshot. This saves your snapshot to their servers
2. Copy and Paste the link to your next Reply

#15 ·
I would also recommend that you uninstall the following programs and test. If no change then you can reinstall if you choose.

AVG - https://www.avg.com/en-us/utilities
Use only Windows Defender
Comodo Backup
Malwarebytes
SUPERAntiSpyware

#16 ·
I was getting the same problem when I had nothing on the PC except a fresh install of Win 10 and the first set of updates after that install. The other programs are not causing the error. I applied the 3/28/2018 BIOS update and that did bupkis. As a matter of fact right after that update it shut down then started to reboot then shut down with Driver_overran_stack_buffer error.

#17 · (Edited)
Further to the above I mentioned earlier that the dump mentions memory problems
Your ram is NOT on the QVL list from MSI and neither is it recommended for that board by GSkill
I suggest you try other ram if possible OR ask GSkill or MSI if the problems could be the 16GB sticks
https://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=55&chip=2952&model=2963
EDIT
I do now realise from the GSkill site that your ram is on their QVL list for your MSI board
when checking the GSKILL site on that particular ram
https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-32gtz

The confusion arose because it is not on the ram configurator from GSkill
Sorry about that mix-up.
I still recommend as above - that you ask GSkill and MSI

and in view of your last post - perhaps an indication that the problem may indeed be ram

and the fact is was crashing before is no reason to install AVG, Malwarebytes, Comodo and SAS when you also have Defender running

Trying to sort problems with the system in such a state is pointless
AND you still have not answered my query and I did ask, in case you had missed the post could you reply to it.

I will leave the issue with my colleagues - IMHO too many people now responding to you and confusing for you - possibly. Perhaps that is why I have not had a response to my query
Hope you get it sorted

dckeks will I am sure point out which drivers he thinks should be updated - just in case it is a driver issue.
My money is now on the ram

#18 ·
I agree, I am inclined to think it is either RAM or CPU issues. These type of dumps often point to CPU issues as well and now the Driver_overran_stack_buffer another hardware failure indication.

#20 ·
As a VERY simple way to find out if this is a hardware problem or a windows/software/driver problem, simply boot the system with a linux live usb. If it works fine under linux, you know the problem is a windows/driver/software, etc problem. If it freezes under linux, you know you have a hardware problem ie ram, motherboard, etc.

My guess is that you will have the same problem under linux however that remains to be seen.

#21 ·
One last item. Your ram requires 1.35V and the bios should default to 1.2V. Have you set the correct vdimm or ram voltage? You may have posted this info already however there are a LOT of posts and I did not see where you set vdimm.

#22 ·
Just as a side note, I have done three ryzen builds and all three used ram not on the qvl or approved list. I am not recommending this practice however just because the ram is not listed does not mean it will not work. It means the motherboard mfg did not test that ram. Generally as long as you use name brand ie corsair, gskill, crucial, etc, it works fine.
Do understand that regardless of the ram brand IF you want it to run at rated speed, you need to set vdimm, timings, speed in the bios OR use XMP.

Personally I am not a fan of xmp [it seems to work fine in intel systems however not amd systems] I much prefer to set ram speed, voltage, etc manually in the bios.

#23 ·
Will that be so 100% certain because a Linux boot will not positively use ram, as the system will use it with Windows 10
Only asking, as I said I am leaving the topic. I am confused even if milomorai is not

#24 ·
Win defender is disabled with AVG, et al running because it consistently shows up as a lesser product and Malwarebytes and SAS are far better than either of them in catching malware. I use both because I have found one finds items that the other misses. Since the cpu was changed by AMD I doubt that I would have gotten two lemons from them. I will try the latest BIOS update to see if that works. When I looked at the driver list the only old ones I saw at a glance were for comodo itself and that was from an update I tried to restore.

#25 ·
It is going to use ram more than windows since the operating system is loaded into ram. You can also run the linux version of prime95 to stress the system ie ram and processor.
It is my guess that the poster will have similar errors under linux however we will have to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.