Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clock_Watchdog_timeout error on new Ryzen 1800X build

6K views 78 replies 5 participants last post by  milomorai 
#1 ·
I have been fighting this for the last 6 months. I put together a Ryzen 1800X, 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4 Pc 3200 Model F4-3200C 14D32GTZ, MSI X370 Gaming Carbon Pro MB, Seasonic 660XP 80 Plus Platinum PSU, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe for my OS drive and a 2 TB SSD for storage with a MSI Radeon RX 550 Aero ITX OC 4GB graphics card. I have RMA'd all of the components except for the graphics card and even got a 500 GB SSD to try for my Os drive to no avail. I can't keep the system up for more than 30-45 minutes before it freezes. The PSU was swapped for another Platinum series that was a 90 Plus 650W one in a better line. I would put in the minidump file but the only way I can read it still shows it in machine language.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Eight-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 23 Model 1 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 16
RAM: 32715 Mb
Graphics Card: Radeon RX 550 Series, -1 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (427 GB Free); D: 1863 GB (1623 GB Free);
Motherboard: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd., X370 GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7A32)
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

See less See more
#56 ·
Wow, bad luck. Hopefully better luck with the Gigabyte MB.

#58 ·
Got the Gigabyte mobo and still having the same problem. Will try updating the bios to see if that works. If my hair was long enough would be pulling it out by now!
It seems unlikely that all of these would have the same issue so something else may be going on. Please recap what your exact problems are currently.

#59 ·
Was still getting clock_watchdog_timeout error until the last time I updated the bios. Now am getting a cpu error led on the mobo and system won't even post. When I went to update the bios I saw that it hadn't taken the first update. The timeout error was the one that started this thread.

#62 ·
Will it run under Linux still or have you tried?

#64 ·
#66 ·
Sounds like a good plan. Good luck. Keep us posted.

#67 ·
If one board would not even post- without getting to the stage of the OS installed, then obviously apart from a BIOS UEFI question, with that processor on that board where some new generation processors will not post without a newer firmware - you are looking at a fault in the build or a hardware fault.

However that is not your case, of course as some of the boards did post and you installed the OS and then got the Clock watchdog timeout
AS on your opening post, where I replied.

It is inconceivable to think that you have received THREE I think it is faulty boards

You either have a CPU - problem, but not as I said necessarily the CPU - it could indeed be your AIO cooler, not attached correctly or indeed wrongly orientated if it is a liquid cooler.

Have you used thermal paste on the CPU

ARE you trying to boot the new build with a Windows 10 version that is not the latest
Many of these Ryzen processors will not accept less than the newer Windows 1o.

Again of course that does not deal with the failure to post - it may however deal with the BSOD issue.

#68 ·
Chapter 2711 in the build from hell saga: got the replacement cpu but still had the cpu led error light so called gigabyte support - faulty mobo! getting that replaced - makes the sixth mobo total that I have tried in this build - two ea. MSI (one I still have as that did post but gave me the clock... error), two ASUS (neither powered up) and now the two Gigabyte. I think I have the AIO cooler oriented correctly - the in/out tubes pointed towards the cpu and I actually did manage to have it stay up long enough to get Win 10 updated to a fairly recent version but it hasn't stayed up long enough for any other updates to take. The version I loaded originally was one that came out after Ryzen had been released. Also flashed bios to one that will accept up to 2700x cpu's.

#70 ·
Haven't tried different ram but the ram I have was also RMA'd along with everything else - it was on the acceptable list for the original MSI mobo that I bought. I tried it at the base 2133 as well as the 3200 clocking - that was when I was and still am getting the clock_watchdog_timeout error. I was hoping that this Gigabyte board would solve that problem - maybe it will since it seems to have been a lemon.

#72 ·
Got the new mobo and still freezing up on me. Now having even more problems - the NVe M-2 drive wouldn't stay up for more than 2 minutes so switched to my other boot drive which turned out to give me only 15 minutes. That was just enough time to stop a driver update in mid stream so when I tried to reboot after that got kmode exception error. Decided to reload Windows for the upteenth time and the install program couldn't find or make a useable partition on either of my boot drives. So here I am with a system that won't stay up and now two boot drives that won 't install Windows. The build from hell just got worse.

#76 ·
You cannot have two drives both with windows 10 installed , as boot systems - at least not in a normal install
the NVe M-2 drive wouldn't stay up for more than 2 minutes so switched to my other boot drive which turned out to give me only 15 minutes

#78 ·
Well IMHO it is beyond belief that you have received so many faulty motherboards etc.
I suggest it is time to seek professional or at least experienced help for the build
You may think that is a unhelpful suggestion, but I firmly believe it is the best advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.