Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2 Factor Authentication

650 views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  rumi 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I suspect it is impossible to get around this but thanks for any ideas you may have,

I have a new ipad and having trouble with 2 factor authentication.

I have no phone. (that is no phone at all) and only one trusted device, so end up in a catch 22 of not being able to receive verification codes. " 2 factor authentication is required for many iOS 11+ apps and I am getting more and more squeezed out. I did set up some authentications using my partner's phone. But "they" are now an ex partner and lives 9 time zones away and doesn't take too kindly to being woken with verificaion codes in the middle of the night.

please bear in mind that the ipad will go in the bin long before I ever get a phone.

Thank you, Rumi

#4 ·
Amy, yes it seems thats their attitude too, however, my ipad IS my phone, I only make phone calls via Skype. I don’t see why ANYONE buys a phone contract when you can make calls for free or at much lower rates via your internet.

#5 ·
James, there is 2 factor auth for the ipad but it allows you to set up without it (for now at least) but it nags you for a phone number. Some other functions, especially banking, you cannot use their online services without a phone number. And more and more apple services are going this way too.

Funnily enough, I can’t get a phone contract in Japan unless I already have a phone number ?????

#8 ·
Amy, you are just stating the obvious, my point is that I shouldn’t have to have a phone to be able to use my ipad. It obviously is for my protection, but impossible for me to comply with and I think that is fundamentally wrong and an infringement of my right to live without owning a phone. I am looking for ideas on how to bypass this requirement, not just repeated reiteration of the problem.

#9 ·
You can have an apple account and not use it for a phone. The problem I see is that 2-Factor Authentication seems to want a phone number for the security, or another apple product. It looks like in your situation you are not able to use 2-Factor properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.