Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need help fixing SMART error for E:

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  managed 
#1 ·
This problem has only been occurring over the last week, and everything I've tried to do has not worked. Please let me know what I can do and what information I need to provide to get this fixed.

Here's what I've done:

Run error checking under properties and tools (failed with an unknown error)
Optimize and defragment drive (The drive does not show up here, which I'd assume is the source of the issue because nothing has been defragmented/optimized)

In command prompt. running with administrator:
chkdsk e: /f (never completed after many hours of hanging on the same percentage 72%)
chkdsk e: /f /r /x (never completed after many hours of hanging on the same percentage 72%)
chkdsk e: (Ran for quite a while, but then an unspecified error occurred (766f6c756d652e63 45d).)
chkdsk e: /scan (Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data. A snapshot error occured while scanning this drive. Run an offline scan and fix.)

I've ran a few more, but I can't remember off the top of my head what exactly they were. I need to just start from scratch for the most part anyway.

See less See more
#3 ·
To add to Lantus' post ...
A hard drive S.M.A.R.T. warning or error message typically indicates an imminent or existing hardware failure of a hard drive. Unless you want to risk loosing everything on the hard drive (if it hasn't happened already), I would suggest you stop using it for anything immediately.

#4 ·
I am not using this drive in any way that i am aware of (not actively opening it, not using any programs off of it) but I am required to use my computer for schooling/work. All that is stored on C:, but I have things I'd like to keep/look at on E:. I did check my other disks in the same manner and there were no problems. I posted a photo of the error, and the only way to boot is by going into the boot menu and using my first option as shown here.

Attachments

#5 ·
Can you copy the files you want to keep from the HDD to the SSD ? If not I would try to copy them onto DVDs or an external HDD as soon as possible.

Also can you boot into Windows if the Hitachi HDD is disconnected ?

#7 ·
I'm not sure how to disconnect it. I was not the one who built my computer and cannot contact the person who did.

I'm not sure how to back up my files either, mostly because I don't actually have a cd/dvd drive because it did not fit in my case. I could probably move some of the files from E: to C:, but I am a bit worried that doing so will just damage both or just E:. Should I buy a flash drive or external dvd drive with some cds to back it up?

#8 ·
If you're not comfortable opening the case perhaps a knowledgeable friend could help you disconnect the hard drive. It's only to test if you can boot into windows with just the SSD drive.

I would get an external Usb hard drive and backup wanted files onto that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.