Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acer Cromebook went black

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 ·
Hello. I posted elsewhere but no one responded, probably due to the odd title. So I'll try again. My Acer Chromebook screen suddently went black with a small red icon in the middle that has what looks like a white exclamation point. I cannot get into into my laptop. I'm wondering if this means someone hacked into it and the laptop is fired or if it's worth taking to a repair shop to be fixed.
Shops here charge a big fee just to look at it so I'm trying to get a clue if it's worthy trying to fix it. Thank you for any help anyone can offer. I apologize if i'm on the wrong thread

#2 ·
#3 ·
Try a hard reset as here
https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/3227606?hl=en&vid=0-136007457303-1539470083219

following the appropriate instructions for your model
Thank you for the link. I followed the instructions as given, e.g. pressed reset button, unplugged the computer which did not work. Another option was to remove the battery. Please tell me where the battery is and how to remove it. I have an Acer chromebook, model CR3 think. I'm sorry that I don't have the exact model number with me. I am at the library using their computer. It is very slim and I do not see a way to open it. Can you help me? Thank you. If necessary I will have to drive home and get the model number and return another day.

#4 ·
Check your user manual as to where battery is or go to acer site and enter details for your notebook
Post exact model and serial number please

#5 ·
This is an AcerChromebook II, CBC-131. I went to the Acer site and went to where manuals and drives were said to be found, entered my model number but could not find any place which offered manuals. On a question about batteries I read that "some newer models have an internal battery that cannot be removed without dissembling the computer. These have a battery reset button" Since I do not have the computer with me (I'm writing this at the library) I do not know if mine has an internal battery or not. I'll have to go home and look. I copied directions for removing the battery, if I have one and also for resetting the battery with the reset button if I don't have a battery that i can get to.
I am wondering now if I must do this in order to resolve the initial problem as I have already described. Thank you for your help. As you might imagine I am not tech savvy...am a little old lady who lives in the country and must drive a long way each day to use the computer at the library. I've been without the use of my Chromebook for almost two weeks now and am very eager to get it working. Is this something that one can do oneself or should I just bite the bullet and bring it in to a repair place. Again, thanks for any help you can offer.

#6 ·
Try this

A hardware reset.
press Refresh
+ Power
on your keyboard.

eg. Hold down the refresh key and tap the power key
you MAY then be able to follow as below
  1. Sign in to your Chromebook.
  2. Open Chrome
    . A "Restore" window will open.
  3. In the upper-right corner, click X. The window will close.
CAUTION you may lose any data stored only locally on the Chromebook

#7 ·
Try this

A hardware reset.
press Refresh
+ Power
on your keyboard.

eg. Hold down the refresh key and tap the power key
you MAY then be able to follow as below
  1. Sign in to your Chromebook.
  2. Open Chrome
    . A "Restore" window will open.
  3. In the upper-right corner, click X. The window will close.
CAUTION you may lose any data stored only locally on the Chromebook
Thank you. When you say that I may lose any data stored only locally on the Chromebook, I am concerned about losing books of Kindle and Audio books. Are these stored on my Chromebook or in a cloud somewhere? How do I know? I do not want to try this if I will lose them. Thank you.

#8 · (Edited)
I do not know where YOU have the files stored and until you can open the Chromebook no one can answer that question
Are these stored on my Chromebook or in a cloud somewhere? How do I know?
Check by signing into Google drive
https://www.google.com/intl/en-GB/drive/
if you have them stored there

As far as I can tell your internal storage is 16GB

In view of your uncertainty regarding even where you have your files stored
My advice, although we are keen to assist is to seek professional hands on help
I do not mean that in any way , other than trying to give you the best advice, but we cannot know the answer to where you have data stored and I would not like to feel responsible, by you following my advice, for the loss of your data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.