Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Disc burning errors, both internal and external drives

Solved 
6K views 13 replies 2 participants last post by  JonathanSabin 
#1 ·
Hi, I have an HP Windows 10 laptop that I bought last year. I burn DVD-Rs and BD-Rs quite frequently, both data and video. Anyways, in the past month I all of a sudden started having problems. No matter what software I used or type of authoring, (video DVDs or Blu-rays through Cyberlink Powerdirector and Pinnacle Studio, various iso burners, data discs through Windows own disc burning software), I will often get error messages and end up with an unusable disc. Once in a while it will make a mistake and actually work but most of the time it won't. I thought it may be the external BD-R drive I use most often, but I have the same problem burning DVDs with the laptopslown drive. I also don't think it's the blank media's fault, as I've used various brands which get good reviews, and I've used them for many years with no problems. I did a restore point in case that would help but it didn't. I am just about at the hair-pulling-out stage. Any insights? Thank you!

#3 ·
I will often get error messages and end up with an unusable disc. Once in a while it will make a mistake and actually work but most of the time it won't
What are the error messages please

2. Full model of HP please

3. Did the laptop come with 10 as the OS, if not what OS did it sell with.

4. Post results of this please run the system info utility and copy and paste the details in the white box to your reply
https://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

#4 · (Edited)
In the past using Powerdirector I've gotten "the attempt to burn a disc failed. an unknown error occurred" (0x80004005).
Today using Window's built in iso burner I got error code 0xC0AA020D.

My laptop is an HP Pavilion 15-au010wm, a year and a half old, and Windows 10 was preinstalled.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 78 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 12177 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 520, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 911 GB (43 GB Free); D: 17 GB (2 GB Free); J: 1862 GB (1535 GB Free);
Motherboard: HP, 820C
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled

#5 ·
As the problem exists using both the included Windows burning software and the Cyberlink we may presume it is a problem outside of these softwares.
What AV is in use, I know our system report says Windows Defender but please confirm that is the ONLY AV installed

Try burning on clean boot
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY please.

if it is software related that may then prove successful

If it does then use clean boot troubleshooting to establish the cause.

#6 ·
I did a clean boot, with no success. BTW, using Imgburn resulted in an error message mentioning: i/o error, Scsi status 0x02, Interpretation: check condition, sk interpretation: hardware error, asc/ascq interpretation: unknown (internal target fai check failure)

#7 ·
#9 ·
Have you looked at the link I sent please, my link should go straight to the settings window
It does for me and it was tkane from that page of the guide
If NOT scroll down and
Click write on the link it is then shown on the settings window

#11 ·
What AV is in use, I know our system report says Windows Defender but please confirm that is the ONLY AV installed
what is the answer please.

2. Is iTunes installed

#13 ·
Reactions: JonathanSabin
#14 ·
Update:
I bought a new Blu-ray drive and it works just fine. So apparently both my original Blu-ray drive and my internal DVD drive failed at the same time. It seemed like too much of a coincidence, but apparently that's what happened. Sorry to be a bother. (But I'm glad it is solved.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.