Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help with first pc build

629 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I suggest consider i7-8700K since the motherboard that you picked is Z series chipset that is capable and easier to overclock processors.

Games take a lot of space you may want to think to select a 1 TB for the SSD instead of 500 GB. I think 500 GB is stretching it for storing games. Sandisk is OK and Samsung is OK. Kingston and Crucial are OK. SSD fails in a chaotic way without any warnings. All NAND Flash chips in SSD are configured in striping mode like RAID-0 and some models may do a similar mode like RAID-5 or RAID-6. Do backups.

There is no point buying a motherboard with wifi for a gaming computer. I recommend ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-H GAMING and save money. If you want to keep the white scheme, ASUS Prime Z370-A is a good option and it's cheaper. Wifi is never a benefit for gaming. It's your nemesis because it increases latency to 20 to 40 milliseconds and this is the lowest latency. Wired networks are less than 1 millisecond. Keep wifi for mobile computers and Ethernet or wired network for desktops. At any cost use wired network for a gaming system.

A GeForce GTX 1060 is OK. Save more money to get at least a 1070 or even better a GeForce GTX 1080. I only suggest a GeForce GTX 1060 if your game sometimes.

An all-in-one water cooling unit is OK if you are planning to overclock. If you are not overclocking, consider buying an air cooler. Air coolers are easier to maintain and if the fan fails, the heatsink is still cooling the CPU. If you plan the placement of your front fans, your front fans can be used as a backup CPU fan. High air pressure fans and fans that project air in a column instead of in a widespread will be preferred if you want to do this method. After watching the CareyHolzman video when he installs the Scythe SCMG-5100 Mugen 5 Rev.B, I suggest that cooler over Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO or its RGB version. Mounting the Hyper 212 is a pain to do. It can take up to an hour with cursing. The Scythe looks in the video that takes less than 15 minutes with little effort even though Carey is mounting the heatsink while the case is vertical. When using any aftermarket heatsink, you are required to do research for clearance of the video card, memory, VRM heatsink, and the chassis

If you know anybody that have built three or more computers, have them mentoring you while you build your computer. It will be a big help. Read all manuals several times before building the computer.

#4 ·
I am also considering the i7-8700k but im thinking about the price. I will also be buying a second hard drive in the future so i think 500gb is good for now. Unfortunately the router is far away from my pc and right now i am not able to connect it by LAN, so i will be needing wifi. But i just found out that the motherboard i want is not available in my country right now. Do you think it would be better if i get the ASUS Prime Z370-A and get a wifi card instead?

Also, i wont be overclocking, so ill get an air cooler like you suggested. I would like an rgb one though. Could you tell me your opinion or suggest me something similar? I'm between MasterAir g100m, MasterAir ma610p and Gammaxx GT

http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/masterair-g100m/
http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/masterair-ma610p/
http://www.deepcool.com/product/cpucooler/2017-06/7_6732.shtml

And what about the power supply? Do you think its right or should i choose lower voltage? I dont plan on adding many things in the future. Maybe a hard drive or a 2nd graphics card.
Thanks for taking the time to answer :)

#6 ·
Distance and Wifi don't mix. Further that you are from Wifi, bandwidth suffers and latency increases. It's best to use a wired network connection and this helps very well for gaming. The longest network cable can be 100 meters. Wifi can handle about a third of the length. I believe that it's inconsiderate to use wifi and game. You will be stated as a high ping ******* and the chances of being kicked out are very high.

A wifi card in a desktop computer is not reliable and not stable. It's best to keep wifi out of the computer and use another wifi router that is switch into wifi to wired bridge mode. You can place this router anywhere that gets the best reception. This gives you the chance of putting the computer anywhere that you want without worrying if the desktop computer is getting a reception. However, the desktop computer still has the same problems that any devices use wifi which is high latency and poor throughput for networking.

I think you mean wattage, not voltage. A 750 watt is OK. That amount of watts should last about 4 to 5 years until you start getting signs of the power supply going and this only if you keep the computer on 24/7.

I don't build clown computers, so I don't know those models. For all aftermarket heatsinks, find out if the chosen heatsink provides clearance of your memory, video card, VRM, and chassis. Most aftermarket heatsinks don't have a list of compatible motherboards, so you are on your own. If you are not overclocking your CPU, the stock heatsink will work just fine.

If you are not going to overclock you can go with H or B series chipsets for half the cost of ASUS Prime Z370-A.

#7 ·
The CX series from corsair is fine for what it is designed for; a basic build. I even use one in my home theater system.
See this quote from the corsair support site
CX Series™ Modular power supply units are an excellent choice for basic system builds
The CX series is not fine for a gaming and or overclocking system. The only corsairs that are up to running a gaming system are the AX, HX, or RM models. If you go with the non K processor, the intel cooler that comes with the processor is fine. The coolermaster 212 type coolers are better than the stock cooler however they are a little more involved to install. I have built many systems using the 212 type coolers and they take about 10min to install when you are building the system. It would probably take an inexperienced builder a few extra min to install one of those coolers.

FWIW I am not a big fan of liquid cooling [even though my ryzen system uses a liquid system]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.