Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

forgot wifi password

Solved 
1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  managed 
#1 ·
When Charter cable was here and set up my new wifi router, we came up with a password to be able to use wifi in my house. Problem is I forgot what it is. The cable guy didn't keep it. Is there a way I can find out what it is? I really don't need it but if the kids come over, which they will this Thanksgiving, they always bring pc's and will want to us my wifi. How can I find out what it is? Thanks.

#3 ·
If your wifi is orking, as in you're connecting to it. Then the same goes. Connect to to the Management page of the router, log in with the default username and password.
Then go to the Wifi page(s) and change the password(s).

If you're not sure what the IP is of the management page?
Launch a Command prompt. Type, without the quotation marks "Ipconfig" and the default Gateway should be the address of the management page.

#5 ·
Do you know the login information to the router? If not, then the above won't help you. What Morten intended was for you to get the IP address of the router (gateway), then you'd put that in the address bar of a browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, etc.) to access the router. But, if you can't log into it, that won't help.
Do you currently have a wireless device connected to the router? Laptop, etc.?

#7 ·
Usually you can go into the properties of the network and there should be a place where the pass phrase is shown as a series of asterisks (*******). Usually there is an option to show characters. See if this reveals the passcode for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.