Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Installing and cloning new SSD Drive

Solved 
377 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Fireflycph 
#1 ·
I have a 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO Sata III on order for deliver in the next few days and wish to clone the existing 110 GB (C) complete with operating system using Samsung migration software

Do I need to first fit the new drive, boot up PC and the system will find the drive?
Looking on the net it shows in different places (see attached) the original source disc 0 as C and the target as disc 1 C do I need to do anything to make/name the new drive the target drive or will the migration software do that?

The other drives J: is an internal HDD and I: is an external
Hope this makes sense

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 16292 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 740, -2048 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 110 GB (23 GB Free); I: 1862 GB (813 GB Free); J: 1863 GB (1545 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., Z170-P
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
What I think you should do is to detach any and all devices except the old and new drive. Then clone the old one to the new one. Preferable from booting from a USB/DVD drive. I do not kno the Samsung clone s/w so I can't help you with that.

However, if you download Seagate Disc Wizard? You can burn an iso to either a flash or dvd. Boot from there and then clone the drive. And also opyimize the drive for SSD.

Obviously a manufacturer's utilities may be better.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply,I am planning to disconnect the other 2 drives, the main thing I am interested is that after installing the new drive when I restart the PC with only the original SSD and new SSD will the system find the new drive to enable me to start the cloning process without me having to assign letters etc?
Thanks
RG

#5 ·
Made the initial mistake of not disconnecting other drives (DVD and larger HDD) as advised (awkward to get at), found out the only way to boot was by going into the bios where the new drive only showed under SATA information but not under Boot priority.
After doing searches on net found that this is a common problem and there is a a minefield of answers out there!
Solved it by following the advice from Fireflycph and disconnecting other drives first
Just posting this as a follow up and may be useful for others
Thanks for the help all working and booting correctly
RG,

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.