Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

No BIOS or OS

Solved 
1K views 25 replies 3 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I had a working PC for about a year. Last night I had an issue where it would not go to sleep and eventually locked up so I forced it off by holding the power button. This morning, when I started up I got a single short beep on my motherboard which is normal and then nothing else happens. The system fans and lights operate like normal but nothing shows up on the displays. No bios or OS.

I have 2 monitors and 2 video cards. I tried each combination including only 1 at a time. I have 2x 8G memory so I tried each one individually and in different slots. The motherboard does not have an error code display. It has four LEDs that only light up if there is a corresponding issue. None of them lit up.

I am not sure what to try next as most help I can find is for new PC builds or motherboards that have an error code or beep sequence that indicates a problem. I did not make any hardware or software changes to my PC in the last few days.

Update: I have also tried changing the CMOS battery since I had one laying around and I also tried 2 other sticks of memory. The same issue remains.

My PC:

MB: Gigabyte Aorus X299 ultra gaming
CPU: Intel core i7-7820X
GPU: 2x Nvidia GTX 980
PS: EVGA supernova 850w
Memory: corsair 2x 8G

- Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
1 Does the HDD LED on the case show activity

2. It is a little inconceivable that both graphic cards and monitors have failed

3. Dismissing the board and the CPU for the time being, and in view of the inability to power off I would say that your first suspect is the PSU
The fact the board appears to power on, but there is no progress to display even at post - MAY be the PSU
Although EVGA PSU`s are good they can of course fail like any other component.

The way forward is to either - depending on your resources available check the PSU in another computer or try another PSU in this one.
Alternatively depending on your access to a local computer repair shop, not preferably one of the giant multiples, the testing of the PSU will cost just a few $/£

Despite what you may read about self testing of PSU`s with a multimeter, it is a non starter for testing, as the PSU must be under load, as it would be when connected to a system and voltage drops will never be shown on a simple multimeter test

Reactions: liltingllama
#3 ·
Thanks for your reply.

I believe the HDD LDD on my case is combined with the power button but I didn't really pay attention to it when it was working. I don't think there is any activity but I am unsure.

I do have a few local repair shops around so I will try to get the PSU tested.

#4 ·
I do think that is your first port of call

#6 · (Edited)
where and how was it tested please

AND is there any history to this whatsoever - apart from the events of last night - eg any previous error messages or apparent problems

and is it a total black screen or is there a cursor

#7 ·
I found a small shop where they tested the PSU with a meter that hooks up directly to it but it was not under a load. He also referred me to another more experienced repair shop across town. I went there and he agreed with you, unprompted, that it was most likely the power supply and that it needed to be tested under a full load. He said that it would be pretty expensive to have him test it and that I should try to get another power supply from a place with a good return policy to test it out myself first.

There has been a history of issues with the PC not going to sleep. I used to go into my office in the morning and find my PC up and running so I disabled any device from being able to wake it up. The problem went away after that. In the last month or so I noticed the issue where it takes me a couple of tries to get the PC to go to sleep. I can't think of any other issues I've had with it since I built it a little over a year ago.

When I start it up, the monitor(s) never even wake up, no cursor or even black displayed on the screen (as opposed to black because it is off). I double checked them and they still recognize that they are plugged in. When I unplug the monitors from the PC they wake up and say there is no signal.

I'm not sure if this is useful but my keyboard has a LED configuration that loads after windows boots. Before that, all the keys are blue. Even if there was a display issue and windows loaded I would expect to see them change to the preset but they remain blue or just go black so I do not think that windows is loading behind the scenes.

#8 ·
I went there and he agreed with you, unprompted, that it was most likely the power supply and that it needed to be tested under a full load. He said that it would be pretty expensive to have him test it
You seem to have a rather low grade quality of repair business wherever you are situated.
Here, where I am, you simply take the computer to the shop, with the PSU disconnected and he connects a PSU to just the mainboard on the 24pin and the CPU 4/8 pin and then the graphics, and of course any fans that are powered from the PSU as of course it does not need any drives powered to post.

I have not used the service myself but I know that he charges about £20.

I do not know if you have another choice of avenue to such test as outlined above.

YOU having already checked as below
Status LEDs
The status LEDs show whether the CPU, graphics card, memory, and operating system are working properly after system power-on. If the CPU/VGA/DRAM LED is on, that means the corresponding device is not working normally; if the BOOT LED is on, that means you haven't entered the operating system yet.
From your manual check these leds
Section 1.8 of your manual

I would recommend to you that disconnect power to ALL drives and disconnect all external hardware except keyboard and mouse and then try again. I would connect keyboard on PS2 not USB

If still no post then I would examine very carefully the motherboard for signs of any burning marks on the PCB tracks, swelled capacitors or other clearly suspect components.

If this shows nothing I would go with the PSU first, before even thinking of CPU or board testing or replacement

#9 · (Edited)
I called one place that said they did not check PSUs before going to the other 2 places. There several others around and probably a lot more if I expand my search radius a bit. Perhaps I can call around and find some one with the proper set-up to check it under a load.

For the status LEDs, I did notice that they all turn off including the BOOT LED. I unplugged the hardrives and noticed that the boot LED did turn on. I would be very suprised if the OS was starting... however I did fail to check one thing when I was trying out different combinations of the 2 monitors and the 2 graphics cards. I do not think I tried just one graphics card in a second slot. I only plugged the monitors into graphics cards in the 1st slot. That's a pretty big oversight now that I think of it. I need to do that as soon as I get home from work today. I only thought of this now because of your post.

If that doesn't turn up anything, I will continue on as you suggested. I may also be able to borrow a PSU from a friend on Sunday if they have one that will work with my system. Thanks again for sticking with me on this.

#10 ·
Cheers
It could be that all is loading of course.
Was the system overclocked if so to what level

#11 ·
Changing the slots for the graphics card didn't make a difference. I will probably wait till I get another power supply on Sunday and try a few more things you suggested above. Then I guess my next step would be to send the motherboard in to the manufacturer as it is still under warranty. I hope I can get this done before everyone closes up shop for the holidays.

#12 ·
Cheers good luck with it.
Please let me know how it goes

#13 ·
Hello,

Still no luck with my PC. I tried a brand new PSU complete with all new cables with the same result. I also tried disconnecting everything besides the memory, 1 graphics card, a monitor, the mouse, & the keyboard with the same result. I can not see any visible signs of damage on the motherboard.

At this point I've tried the following with absolutely no change to the issue I am having:
- 2 sets of memory in various slots
- 2 graphics cards that were already in the system, both individually and in different slots
- 2 monitors that were already connected to the system, both individually and in different slots
- 2 power supplies with 2 sets of cables

Is there anything else I should try before I pursue the warranties on my motherboard and CPU?

Thanks.

#14 · (Edited)
I cannot really see this as the cause but just in case disconnect the front panel header from the motherboard and start the computer by briefly shorting the two pins on the motherboard header - page 35 of the manual = marked PW

As I said I cannot see it being the cause but at this stage before the expense of returning CPU and board it is perhaps worthy of a try

I appreciate it is not your exact motherboard but please see this
http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/3243/aorus-z370-gaming-display-signal

#16 ·
as in the link as well

#17 ·
I got my hands on a MSI X299 Carbon motherboard. I rebuilt the system with the new motherboard and back to the exact same result. No display whatsoever. I do have error codes with this motherboard, however it continually jumps all over the place. Most of the time it stays in the upper 40s and 50s which all point to memory errors. Considering that I tried 2 sets of memory and all the other things I've tried, does this mean I most likely have a bad CPU?

#18 ·
No display whatsoever. I do have error codes with this motherboard, however it continually jumps all over the place. Most of the time it stays in the upper 40s and 50s
The MSI site is down for maintenance - so I could not check motherboard

However as you say
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=263610.0

Do you think it worthwhile asking MSI or checking if your ram is on QVL list
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X299-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC/Specification

the memory qvl will not open for me - get same error server overload or site down

#20 ·
Well it is a puzzle
I have known - just once, in the many systems I have worked on where the heat from the graphics card, which was in the case I refer to - really too large from the space available in the mini tower - cooked the chips on the two sticks of ram which the card overhung.
I do not know of course if you consider this even a possibility in your case.

I think I am going with the CPU but I would feel really bad if you had that expense and then - that was not correct

I take it the MSI is a KNOWN GOOD Board

#21 ·
My case is a Corsair carbide series AIR740. It is practically a cube with a lot of room for airflow. Also, 2 of the memory sticks I tried were brand new and were not in the case before I had this issue. It doesn't seem likely that they were overheated but who knows at this point.

The MSI motherboard was brand new so I can not confirm it was a known good board.

I have to look at the Intel site to check the warranty but I should be covered. I just hope there isn't an underlying issue that caused my first CPU to fail that will continue to damage a new CPU.

#22 ·
It is, unless it proves to be the CPU, a bit of a puzzle that with the new board and new power supply you still have a problem, as I said at the start it is a little difficult to imagine that both graphic cards have failed

#23 ·
Well... I got my PC working again...

Every part is functioning properly. I had tried power cycling the monitors but what I didn't know is that a monitor can be reset by unplugging the power cord and holding down the power button for about 30-60 seconds. I have no idea how both of my monitors, not even from the same brand, could become locked up somehow and need a reset at the same time. I was not even aware that a monitor could even be reset. I guess it was a learning experience. A long, frustrating, learning experience.

Thanks for all the assistance and suggestions.

#24 ·
Please you sorted it
I would never have guessed the monitors

#25 ·
I'm a little confused. From post #7
When I start it up, the monitor(s) never even wake up, no cursor or even black displayed on the screen (as opposed to black because it is off). I double checked them and they still recognize that they are plugged in. When I unplug the monitors from the PC they wake up and say there is no signal.[/

I'm not sure if this is useful but my keyboard has a LED configuration that loads after windows boots. Before that, all the keys are blue. Even if there was a display issue and windows loaded I would expect to see them change to the preset but they remain blue or just go black so I do not think that windows is loading behind the scenes.
Don't these results suggest that the monitors are ok and that Windows wasn't loading?

#26 · (Edited)
I am also a litle perplexed but whatever it was with the monitors it is now solved
as marked so by the Thread Starter

I presume it is along the lines of
https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c03518095
If you have a flat panel LCD monitor, unplug the monitor power cable, wait about 30 seconds, reconnect the cable and then turn on the monitor. This resets the electronics on the monitor.
and although that may not be of course the monitors in question, I think the issue is that somehow the monitors display settings have become corrupted

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.