Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Good internet in remote area with poor coverage?

763 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 ·
I am going to be staying in a remote country house, outside Tarbert in Scotland, for 2 weeks and am told that the WiFi is slow there and will not allow streaming. Phone signal is also poor there. Is there something I can buy which will provide internet which is quick enough to stream on?

I am considering purchasing a Huawei E5785 Travel Mobile Hotspot, but will this work in an area with poor phone signal? As far as I can tell it basically just gives access to any/all network providers in the area, but if nobody has a 4G connection there, am I correct in thinking this means it wont be able to help?

#2 ·
What internet service is available there? And what bandwidth do the ISPs offer? I don't know about Scotland, but in the USA at a remote country house probably the only service available is dial-up, poor DSL, questionable cellular or satellite. Of those only satellite may provide the 4 or 5 Mbps download needed for streaming high definition sports or movies.

#3 · (Edited)
You need to check the coverage in Tarbert
As you say it does not matter what standard of hotspot coverage you have if the area itself does not provide it.
https://www.signalchecker.co.uk/tarbert-argyll-and-bute

put the postcode in

My research tells me that as far as streaming is concerned you can forget it.

#4 ·
You'd do better ripping DVDs you own and putting them a USB stick or sd card to watch without worrying about poor streaming.
You can also load some books on your device to read offline if you don't want to carry books with you.

I have about 20 movies on a micro sd card that I can watch on a laptop or tablet so I don't have to worry about no or poor internet access. I also have books loaded on one tablet and an sd card with other books so I can read too.

#5 ·
What internet service is available there? And what bandwidth do the ISPs offer? I don't know about Scotland, but in the USA at a remote country house probably the only service available is dial-up, poor DSL, questionable cellular or satellite. Of those only satellite may provide the 4 or 5 Mbps download needed for streaming high definition sports or movies.
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately the bandwidth is poor where we are. I think better in the village but, not so much outside of it. Will have a look at satellite options though. From what I've sen so far they tend to have a low daily data cap, but will look more thoroughly.

#6 ·
You need to check the coverage in Tarbert
As you say it does not matter what standard of hotspot coverage you have if the area itself does not provide it.
https://www.signalchecker.co.uk/tarbert-argyll-and-bute

put the postcode in

My research tells me that as far as streaming is concerned you can forget it.
Thanks for the response. Yep, I think you're right re streaming. Apparently the internet gets better during the night (12am - 6am) , not sure if that is going to be all that relevant, but we'll see.

#7 ·
You'd do better ripping DVDs you own and putting them a USB stick or sd card to watch without worrying about poor streaming.
You can also load some books on your device to read offline if you don't want to carry books with you.

I have about 20 movies on a micro sd card that I can watch on a laptop or tablet so I don't have to worry about no or poor internet access. I also have books loaded on one tablet and an sd card with other books so I can read too.
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, it's not for films and tv shows - it's for live streaming of sports, Skype calls, podcasts/audio files that wont be available to download until we're there, etc.

#8 ·
Cheers
Good luck with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.