Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Desktop icons reorged topsy-turvy

397 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  pcguy9441 
#1 ·
I've had an event with Win10 for some time, maybe years where suddenly my icons are reorganized and scrunched to the top left of my screen. Maybe they're reorganized by alpha, hard to tell. This really messes me up as I have a lot of icons.

I've got resolution set to the monitor's default of 1920x1080 (HP 2311x monitor) and it looks like what I'd get if I changed resolution, which I have not done in months. I have a very busy screen with a lot of icons, so each time this happens I spend weeks gradually getting things back to where I want them (like reorganizing my actual wooden desktop) only to have them revert to something else instantly. I don't know if this happens at startup first thing in the AM (I always put PC to sleep at night), or at a random time during the day since I generally have 2-3 windows open and overlapping, thus hiding the desktop. Also, can't tell if they are alphabetized or what, since when you tell it to alphabetize on purpose, it does it separately for each file/icon type (folder, short-cut, xlsx, docx, pdf, jpg, etc....) so is pretty useless to do that on purpose if you have 10 different icon types.

I have a beefy UPS power supply for AC plus no power glitches lately anyway. Had one a month ago for 5-10 sec during bad weather and the PC continued seamlessly without a hiccup. And, significantly, my Win10 has been very stable, in spite of all Windows updates being installed. 1809 installed Dec 5th. have seen no ill side effects.

Any ideas how to prevent this?

Thanks.

See less See more
#5 ·
I have 2 monitors too (4-5 months) and shut the 2nd one off at night due to an annoying blinking light (system in sleep mode). But, this used to happen with just one monitor. I've had Win10 since July of '15 and this has happened probably 3-4 times with 10, but can't detect a pattern or precursor situation or event. There was no Win10 update just before it happened either. Those have gone smoothly including 1809 on Dec 5. My first couple months with Win10 in 2015 were pretty rocky, but once it settled down, it's been great and I love it. None of the grief some seem to see. I still keep 7 as a backup but virtually never boot to it except to run an app that won't run on 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.