Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SATA/power connection for HDD broken

345 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
Please see pic. Is there any easier way to fix this rather than trying to individually thread each metal connector back through the plastic connector thingy? Not having any luck so far.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
With older drives, I'd say replace the entire PCB. But I don't know if that is even possible any longer (at least not with all drive brands/models).

Personally, I'd say the drive is toast. Recycle it and restore from backup.

Post the drive brand and model information. I don't know if there are any HDD techs here at TSG, but I know there were a couple over at TSF (Tech Support Forum).

#3 ·
I haven't tried this, but maybe use a coffee straw to carefully maneuver the pins so the connector can be reattached. Then try to get the data off. You can also try do the following.
Code:
Britec09 - How to Fix a Broken Hard Drive Power or SATA Connector
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PllwdwheuJg
If you don't mind please describe how you damaged it, so others can learn from your mistake. It has not happen to me, but it can happen to the best of us.

#4 ·
I have repaired broken connectors by straightening pins and attaching the cables with JBWeld. It is permanent ie you cannot remove the cable from the drive. This may allow you to access the drive and get whatever you need OFF of the drive.

If you do not need anything from the drive, simply replace the drive. Spin drives are very cheap now and it is not worth the time to attempt to use the drive in a system [other than to get data off]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.