Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Asrock Z390 Extreme PCI2 slot not working

3K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  jimmysayzhi 
#1 ·
Put together my new pc this week and found that my RTX 2070 GPU doesn't work on the PCIE2 slot. When I plug in the hdmi cable there is no display on my monitor. When I connect the hdmi directly to the motherboard and boot it the pc doesn't detect that the graphics card. The when the card is plugged, the fans and lights are working but the display isn't working.

I also tested the port with my old GTX 970 card and it also doesn't work. When I tried installing the cards on the PCIE4 slot it works fine. I have tried everything I can think of to fix this issue. Reinstalled windows 10 multiple times, downloaded the NVidia driver, updated the BIOs, made sure BIOs primary graphics adapter was set to PCI Express, used DDU to remove other drivers on the PC, checked the pins of the CPU for bents, sprayed compressed air into the PCIe slots, reset CMOS. Nothing has fixed the issue.

Is there anything else I could try to fix the PCIE2 slot on the motherboard?

BUILD:

Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor

Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

ASRock - Z390 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive x 2

Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card

EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Lian-Li - LANCOOL ONE DIGITAL ATX Mid Tower Case

See less See more
#2 ·
The CPU that you have doesn't have pins. The pins are on the motherboard.

Remove motherboard from computer case and place on the motherboard box. Do your testing there.

Disable BIOS backup

Remove M.2 and boot with the graphics card.

Disable Secure Boot and reboot with the graphics card installed.

Disable multi-monitor support for the Intel graphics and reboot.

Try another slot.

Change PCIe Link Speed.

Have you hooked a speaker to the speaker terminals on the motherboard. What are the beep codes?

If nothing helps, good luck working with ASRock questionable warranty to get a replacement.

#4 ·
Have you tried changing the settings in the Bios advanced , Primary advanced to one of the other options? What about the PCIE2 link speed? I remember one older motherboard you had to set it for VGA to get the PCIE express slot to work (was it backwards??). I would defiantly contact Asrock , only other thing I found was a suggestion to reseat the CPU.

#7 ·
I guess you checked under the board to make sure there is no extra standoff touching? That's why Tecknerd said "Remove motherboard from computer case and place on the motherboard box. Do your testing there". May have to RMA if it is still in warranty. The PCIE 4 only runs at X8 so you are not getting what you paid for.

#8 ·
You are not troubleshooting correctly. The motherboard manual is misleading and it has no diagram how the PCIe slots and M.2 are wired. Please do the steps that I posted instead of ignoring them. For starters the M.2 device that you are using requires PCIe lanes, so the motherboard could be disabling the first PCIe x16 slot.

For many years, PCIe x8 doesn't slow down graphics cards. It is already been tested many times. Sure if you want to say that it penalizes up to 5 fps. That is not enough to say it penalizes. The tolerance for benchmark error is around 5 to 10 fps.

#9 ·
Sorry for the late response. In the process of testing the motherboard after taking my rig apart. Also never attached any speakers yet to the rig and the only beep I hear is when I shut down the pc.

I know that fixing the PCIe2 port isn't gona be much a diff in performance. Its more for peace of mind that every time I boot up my comp I know I'm not settling for a new defective motherboard.

#10 ·
ok tried running just the motherboard on the motherboard box with just the cpu, one ram stick and graphics card installed. No change when going through the checklist. Also IGPU mulit-monitor and secure boot were disabled on default. Tried turning them on, rebooting then turning them off. Set the PCIe2 link speed to gen 1,2,3, auto. Nothing.

Using the PCIe4 slot still gives me a display in this state.

Attachments

#12 ·
Disable Thunderbolt in the BIOS and then boot with graphics card in PCIE2. Enable default BIOS profile. I hope you turn off your computer before moving the card to the PCIE2 slot in process of troubleshooting.

When I said speaker, I mean the speaker be attached to the speaker header on the motherboard. You don't have this attached. Unfortunately, you have to enable beep codes in the BIOS. The beep could be coming from the power supply. I have a power supply that beeps when the computer is about to turn off. The following is an example of a motherboard speaker.
Code:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201032
If the first PCIe X16 slot (PCIE2) doesn't work contact ASRock for further help.

This motherboard in questioned can accept X16 cards in all slots. Not all motherboards can do this. The add-on PCIe X2 or larger cards have to support X1. Please download the manual if you are confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.